Time for a new pump?

/ Time for a new pump? #1  

MadJack

Silver Member
Tractor
86 Ford 2110 4x4
1986 Ford 2110, 38 hp, 4x4.
I plowed the first winter storm back in January, parked the tractor. Out the next day and cleaned up the left overs, parked the tractor. 10 later we got snow so I warmed up the tractor to plow and had zero response on all hydraulics!
Rather than fight the cold I left it until warmer weather.

No steering, no 3 point lift, no FEL action at all.
The manual I downloaded says the pump has two key ways (inner/outter shafts).

Has anyone had the hydro go dead between runs?

Back ground: Bought tractor last August and have used it a good bit logging, saw mill, moving stuff around until hydraulics just stopped. The LIFT cylinders always seemed slow but everything else was quick.

Any help appreciated...

/ Time for a new pump? #2  
I would start simple. Check the suction and to make sure theres not a valve dumping back into the tank or some other odd thing. Even some kind of electrical lock out, say you leave the parking brake on.

/ Time for a new pump? #3  
As nyone said, check suction line, but to see that there is no air leaking into the suction side of the pump. Spray WD40 or oil around the line joints to begin with. Next, check your hydraulic filter for debris that may have impeded the flow. You can unbolt the suction line from the filter housing to see is an oring may have torn.
There is a key on the pump that may have sheared or the nut that holds the gear on the pump may have loosened. There are no electrical inputs on this system.

/ Time for a new pump?
So I walked away from this issue, life got crazy with a bad car wreck & trying to get past that BS.
I finally found someone willing to 'house call' and have a look. First visit he looked it over and messed with a few things, said he wanted to consult with his Dad (he is 22) and brainstorm. But he thought my problem might be it was sucking air.
I picked up the 397 piece o-ring box at Harbor Freight for when he returned, thinking we'll just replace every damned o-ring on the tractor.

Well yesterday he returned, pulled the hydro-filter... it was dry.
Next he loosened the output pipe from the pump and after about a minute fluid was certainly moving! Tightened that and moved to the rear (internal) hydros. Cracked that opened, and a minute later had fluid flowing there, but still no loader or rear function.

He deduced something was amiss at the mid-block (under the right side floor pan) where the loader plumbs in via quick disconnect.
So he removes that "block" and while cleaning it and looking it over he says, "what's this"? Looked like a flat head screw thing, and when he turned it we both realized it was some sort of flow-adjustment thingy.

He reinstalled that block, started the tractor, then played with setting that screw (or whatever it is).
Finally got the loader, then the rear hydros to work. He (nor I) had any clue this adjustment existed, and I have no clue how or why it mysteriously self adjusted.
Oh well, it's better now.

He also mentioned that the pump was definatley weak.
(when I bought the tractor I had to replace and clean all the fluid because it looked like a coffee-smoothie) He said the previous owner probably never checked or changed the hydraulic fluid and just wore out the pump over time.

So, the tractor is back to running, working, and no longer a yard ornament!
New pump is ordered and I'm looking forward to upgrades (log/root grapple) and other needed small repairs like brake shoes, light re-wiring, and more.

/ Time for a new pump? #5  
Have you changed internal hyd filter Part # 84277192? If not I suggest to change filter before installing new hyd pump or you may be replacing hyd pump in vain.

/ Time for a new pump?
Is this filter actually on/in a 1986 Ford 2110? If so could you direct me on where to find it? (please)
The only filter I can find is on top of the hydro pump.
I certainly don't mind replacing filters any where or any time it's needed.
As noted earlier, it's a 1986 and I just got it last summer. I'm still replacing bent nails with cotter pins...

/ Time for a new pump?
Looking at that filter listing, all models pre-date mine by about 2 or 3 years and go in/on 3 cylinder tractors.
Thanks though!

/ Time for a new pump? #8  
Only filter will be on the pump.
I have to concede that I was thinking of a 3 cylinder model, not the Shibaura based tractor.
Glad you got it working.

/ Time for a new pump? #9  
I also chose incorrect tractor model when I viewed parts catalog.