Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145

/ Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145 #1  

gearmaker

Tractor
NH TC30, MF135, Bobcat 763, Ditch Witch 4010
Hey all; Lurking for a couple of years, first time posting. I have a new to me 67 135 Continental Gas Z145. I am at a loss how to time this particular beast. Runs hot under load. I do have the Owners manual, parts manual and service manual. Static timing ( index marks thru hole lining up as well) yields rotor 180 degrees off. Can the distributor be pulled out and rotated 180 degrees so the timing marks line up? Not clear in the manual. The Distributor Has little adjustment as their is interference with the power steering reservoir impeding rotation. I have rotated the wires one notch then I am a little to far advanced or retarded depending on which way the wires are moved. Can the Power steering reservoir be rotated? It is offset in relation to the gear driven pump. I see one screw in the exploded parts diagram attaching reservoir. Over all tractor is in fair shape. Has a loader that I cannot identify,which I am currently switching to Front pump from diverter feed. 2400 hours. Running hot when loaded with PTO 210-220 degrees. It has a new radiator and I put on a new water pump. Hoses were kinked so I replaced with molded hoses from Yesterdays tractor. New thermostat ( ran without last summer for test no change) Overhauled Marvel carb but without correct timing tough to adjust. New points, plugs, condenser and wires are new. Governor is non-responsive So I will pull the cover and inspect. Fat blue spark.
thanks for reading. I will post pics.

David

/ Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145
Here is My Fergy. Box Blade is out of level for grading.
Gotta love the hand crank on the links! My New Holland should do that.
Any thoughts on the loader?
Thanks David
mf135 ltsideprof.jpgmf135 rear.jpgmf135ltsiderear.jpg

/ Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145 #3  
Quick question...Does it start right up at idle...does it run good until it gets hot? By the way, have you checked temp of the anti freeze when its "hot"...might be your gauge.. bobg in VA

/ Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145 #4  
Hey all; Lurking for a couple of years, first time posting. I have a new to me 67 135 Continental Gas Z145. I am at a loss how to time this particular beast. Runs hot under load. I do have the Owners manual, parts manual and service manual. Static timing ( index marks thru hole lining up as well) yields rotor 180 degrees off. Can the distributor be pulled out and rotated 180 degrees so the timing marks line up? Not clear in the manual. The Distributor Has little adjustment as their is interference with the power steering reservoir impeding rotation. I have rotated the wires one notch then I am a little to far advanced or retarded depending on which way the wires are moved. Can the Power steering reservoir be rotated? It is offset in relation to the gear driven pump. I see one screw in the exploded parts diagram attaching reservoir. Over all tractor is in fair shape. Has a loader that I cannot identify,which I am currently switching to Front pump from diverter feed. 2400 hours. Running hot when loaded with PTO 210-220 degrees. It has a new radiator and I put on a new water pump. Hoses were kinked so I replaced with molded hoses from Yesterdays tractor. New thermostat ( ran without last summer for test no change) Overhauled Marvel carb but without correct timing tough to adjust. New points, plugs, condenser and wires are new. Governor is non-responsive So I will pull the cover and inspect. Fat blue spark.
thanks for reading. I will post pics.

David

Here's how I time my Continental Z129. First lets find the compression stroke on the # 1 cylinder( closest to the radiator).

Pull the plugs and bump the starter holding a thumb over the #1 spark plug hole. When you feel pressure on your thumb, you are on the compression stroke. Now rotate the engine to the low idle timing mark. (it's around 6° or7° BTDC). At this point the rotor should be pointing at approximately the 10 o'clock position and that's where the #1 spark plug wire should be on the distributor cap. Now put a paper clip or a bent wire in the #1 spark plug wire boot and loosen the distributor just enough so you can rotate it back and forth. Turn on the ignition and hold the paper clip near a good ground. (Make sure your fingers are on the boot or you'll know what 10,000 volts feels like!) Rotate the distributor back and forth in ever increasing increments until you hear the spark snap. This is your static timing point. You will probably have to do this several times to get it correct but when you feel you do, tighten down the distributor without moving it. Put the plugs back in and attach the wires 1-3-4-2 counter clockwise from #1 and start the engine. Check with a timing light and rev the engine looking for the timing change. That verifies that the centrifugal advance is working correctly. Return to low idle and check timing adjusting if required.

/ Timing 1967 135 Cont Z145 #5  
My guess would be the distributor internal advance needs attention. Over time they will stop working and cause engine heat trouble. I have an older Sun distributor tester I verify advance action when servicing distributors.

Good call. I have not pulled this distributor out of the block yet to see if I can rotate a couple of teeth. I do think my advance is not working properly. This had an alternator on it when I got it but no Tach drive. I just hacked the alternator and fit a drive on the back. The power steering reservoir only allows 20 degrees of rotation. Is this normal or might my reservoir been put on wrong? Otherwise I need to back off 2 teeth on the distributor shaft just to get it static timed. The weights do not move by hand like an old Delco is that normal?
Thanks, David

No I have not measured the coolant temp when hot. Yes runs good, Starts easy. Just not right yet. By the by, do you recognize the loader in the picture?
Thanks, David

Thanks. Looking at the block, Fan to my left flywheel to my right, 12 o'clock in front of me. When the flywheel is displaying 6 deg BTDC the rotor is pointing to 8 o'clock. I put a witness mark on the Front pulley adapter, attached to the crank pulley,reflecting the flywheel position at 6 BTDC . Now I can use the light to time it. I just do not have any rotation left on the distributor without hitting power steering pump. Reading your statement about 10 o'clock that means to me that I can change tooth position on the distributor. Have no movement in the Governor either. Oh well I will know when I am done ! So any tips on that would be appreciated Linkage seems okay. I just have not taken the timing cover off yet to fully understand gov operation.
Thanks, David

Last edited:
Okay looking at the parts book I could see that I could move the drive gear a couple of teeth. Great now my timing is at 6 BTDC. Runs so much smoother but my advance is stuck. Weights are frees and the springs are good I just have to free the Cam on the shaft. Hopefully without breaking anything!
David

Last edited:
Now I have disassembled the advance mechanism and cleaned the shaft and reamed the sleeve bearings with a .3125 reamer. Everything is "cool" now. Advance working to spec made all of the difference.
Now I know how a Continental running well sounds. This being my first Gas tractor I thought the exhaust noise (pitch) was normal. I like a successful day. Now to finish fitting the front pump to the crankshaft!
Have to fabricate an SAE A mount. Will be using a Lovejoy connector to the shaft. Not a lot of clearance Between Loader Arm Brace and back of pump. May have to moe loade forward a wee bit.
Thanks for the replies.
David