Tiny house as a first home solution for my son?

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #11  
Things on skids build equity there!?

Here that is considered temporary and adds no equity. It is treated like a car on the property that has a value of its own and can be sold separately……

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #12  
I see a LOT of portable building type things that look like mini houses. I always figured that if anything happened to this house, I'd get two of those and arrange them with a breezeway between, one for the BR and LR/Den/Office and the other for Kitchen and bath. Maybe even allow for a third one at some point.

But I have no idea what they sell for now.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #13  
If you have the resources build a big shop with some finished space. It would be temp for them, and guest quarters for you once they move along.

If you want to help them by giving them some ground, and helping them build a house you are a good parent. Make sure the land is not in a place you will miss it if they split the sheets, or want to sell and move.

Best,

ed

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son?
Appreciate all the comments, both about the physical building and the relationship component.

I'm about 70% through a 36x36 barn build. Don't anticipate needing another barn/man cave/toy storage structure. And that barn will be relatively full with equipment/off-season boat storage, and NOT set up for a living space.... "It's mine I tell you! All mine!" [laughs diabolically with a crazy look in his eye...]

As for the relationship stuff: We're being really careful in communicating thoroughly with my son about this. Couching every conversation with: It's important for you to do what you feel is best for your future. We're offering this as an option if you think it's useful. His fiancee isn't up to date on the very latest aspects of this conversation. We've included her in past conversations about deeding them some of the land to build on, a couple of years out. We're leaving it to him to loop her in on this latest wrinkle. We know she likes the idea of a tiny house, but we're not clear on whether she thinks living this close to us would be a problem. We'll let our son hash that out with her. Don't want to put her in the uncomfortable position of having to tell future in laws to go pound sand. :) We don't want to control their lives, but we do want to maximize their chances of success, if they want the kind of help we can give. Ultimately, up to them.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #15  
If you are allowed to sever land in the future place the home in a location that's good for a severance and will leave you with two desirable properties. Plan on a separate well and septic. You might even want to talk with a couple of real estate agents to give you suggestions on how you can maximize value on two properties vs your single one.

Depending on your stage in life you might want to downsize and move into the smaller house yourself!

Consider building to Passive-house guidelines.

A well constructed, energy efficient home is nicer and cheaper to live in for the long term Remember this rule of thumb - 80% of a building's cost is in the day-to-day operation over the lifespan of a building i.e. heating and cooling and maintenance costs, not the initial construction cost.

Here's a very good reference for you on house design considerations for more energy efficient living.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #16  
Assuming the "relationship" stuff works (AND you really have no zoning/permit issues), a 20x36 lean-to (walled in) tacked on your 36x36 might be the ticket. Little bigger than your original tiny house, your storage stays yours, & son will eventually inherit a bigger shop/shed/kids room. You don't plan on hammering/running a forge/or tuning dragsters between 2 and 5 am do you?

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #17  
Appreciate all the comments, both about the physical building and the relationship component.

I'm about 70% through a 36x36 barn build. Don't anticipate needing another barn/man cave/toy storage structure. And that barn will be relatively full with equipment/off-season boat storage, and NOT set up for a living space.... "It's mine I tell you! All mine!" [laughs diabolically with a crazy look in his eye...]

As for the relationship stuff: We're being really careful in communicating thoroughly with my son about this. Couching every conversation with: It's important for you to do what you feel is best for your future. We're offering this as an option if you think it's useful. His fiancee isn't up to date on the very latest aspects of this conversation. We've included her in past conversations about deeding them some of the land to build on, a couple of years out. We're leaving it to him to loop her in on this latest wrinkle. We know she likes the idea of a tiny house, but we're not clear on whether she thinks living this close to us would be a problem. We'll let our son hash that out with her. Don't want to put her in the uncomfortable position of having to tell future in laws to go pound sand. :) We don't want to control their lives, but we do want to maximize their chances of success, if they want the kind of help we can give. Ultimately, up to them.
Another option *might* be a travel trailer ? Of course you need hookups, but you'll need electric & sewer anyway. You could pull it inside the shop / barn for now ? If she thinks living too close it not acceptable, hook it to the pickup and drive away... find a trailer park ?
I have been considering a large enough barn / shop and putting a travel trailer in there that would be semi-permanent ? Havent thought thru all the hookups, especially venting if the heater/water heater/ oven is propane / gas.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #18  
Why not just a large travel trailer or mobile home for temporary use? At least they are easy to resell.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son?
Assuming the "relationship" stuff works (AND you really have no zoning/permit issues), a 20x36 lean-to (walled in) tacked on your 36x36 might be the ticket. Little bigger than your original tiny house, your storage stays yours, & son will eventually inherit a bigger shop/shed/kids room. You don't plan on hammering/running a forge/or tuning dragsters between 2 and 5 am do you?

The relationship stuff does work. Eight years ago, he was a miserable-to-be-around teenager. But he outgrew that and learned how to lean into responsibility. He earned his professional skills by apprenticing for me while in college. He participated in running the business, working with clients. He shares household chores with us. He's a quality roommate and former co-worker that happens to also be our son. High level of mutual trust; he knows we want what's best for him, and he's always concerned about our well-being.

We're pretty rural, but our county is now starting to actually institute a building inspection process because of recent growth. However, the zoning remains unchanged. We are free to build what we see fit.

Adjoining a living space to the new barn doesn't work, and it's not just because of the overnight noise window. My son's living space has to also serve as his workspace. I might be in the barn making all kinds of noise. I can't be in there grinding, cutting, hammering, if he's in a conference call on the other side of a wall.

His living space would have to be isolated enough to give him the same peace and quiet he enjoys in our house. A tractor or a rooster off in the distance is fine, but that's about the limit.

/ Tiny house as a first home solution for my son? #20  
I would also recommend a travel trailer, we lived in one for 10 years so we could save to pay cash for a modular house. We built a roof over ours with a porch. We let a friend park their camper near our (new) house. They ended up buying a cabin on a creek which only has a spring to feed the toilet and she stays at her camper on our land most of the time for the convenience / social aspects but she loves her cabin. She'll upgrade it some day.

When you can give them some land, they can move the camper over there until the house is built.