Tiny teeth

/ Tiny teeth #1  

compulsive tinkerer

Tractor
LS 225
I have a 65 inch bucket on my fel. I have a very heavy clay content in my soil, and digging is a challenge. Especially when it's dry.
I will be putting teeth on my bucket, and im doing something that appears to be unique. Been looking around the web for any cautionary tails about it and there seems to be no one that has done this. So it should be an interesting experiment.
Im putting 8 very small carbide auger teeth on the cutting edge of the bucket. I didn't want anything near as aggressive as everything that's available. Im not one for posting, but I figured since this seems to be something not yet done, ( or at least not talked about) i would share.
Will post a picture of what teeth i ordered as soon as i can work out how to. Like i said, not one to post usually.

/ Tiny teeth #2  
Welcome to the forum! I can understand your need of teeth on the bucket, as I had a good friend over in Pleasant Hill, (Sabine Parish) and he had a lot of clay to deal with also!
Waiting on pictures!
David from jax

/ Tiny teeth
Each tooth is about 2 inch by 3.5 inch. Should be about a 2x2 tooth once bolted on. My thinking is that this should be just enough to break up the surface. And not be overly aggressive when I'm just working the top layer of the ground. I have about 2 inches of decent top soil before it gets into the solid clay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231013-180229~2.png
    Screenshot_20231013-180229~2.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 89
   / Tiny teeth
I work on a boat on the river. I will not be getting home for another 26 days. But i ordered the teeth. They will be waiting for me when I get home. If it turns out this was a bad idea,( which is entirely possible) im only out $47 bucks

/ Tiny teeth #5  
Big teeth, little teeth, lots of teeth, few teeth. A whole lot will boil down to your technique in using the toothed bucket. I have nine large teeth on my bucket. It does help churn up surface soil.

Here's hoping those smaller teeth work well with your soil. I'll be waiting for your report.

/ Tiny teeth
Thats true. And admittedly, im certainly a novice when it comes to tractor work. There are operators out there that can thread a needle with a behemoth machine.

/ Tiny teeth #7  
I found this an interesting comparison between toothbars and plain bucket.

/ Tiny teeth
So i emailed parts warehouse today to check on my order. They gave me a "possible" ship date of Nov 13. Very frustrating.

/ Tiny teeth

I agree. Definitely interesting. But it does show me that having more of a "serrated" edge cuts through the top layer much better than bare bucket or even larger teeth. That is the issue I want to address. When I try to use the bucket to scoop up the little high spots, the bucket just gets deflected up and over. If i adjust the agle of attack enough to get it to bite, it dives down and digs a large divot. Im hoping that the tiny teeth will allow it to cut in and just shave off the high spots. We shall see. If i ever get the teeth delivered. Issues with the supplier apparently.

/ Tiny teeth
I get off the boat tomorrow. Still no word on where my teeth are. Not really pleased with the supplier. Im hopeful they show up soon after I get home. With the holiday and family visits, i will not have much time to dedicate to this project while I'm home. Fingers crossed i hear something soon. On a side note, i have ordered some 2x2 square tubing and some flat bar. I plan on adding some falling object protection as well.