tire chain questions

/ tire chain questions #1  

ScooterBob64

Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Case 580 CK
Last night about 9:00 pm I had the left front tire came off the bead. We were experiencing a good old atmospheric river and I was trying to make sure our road didn't wash out. I had just been cleaning a borrow ditch take off with my angle blade and when I came out of the ditch the tire was trying to come off the rim. This is the second time this has happened. Just after Thanksgiving I was plowing out the mail cluster box for the mail carrier and right front tire came off the bead. This k3510 HST is my second 4x4 CUT and I have never had this happen before. This is the second season I have had chains and in both bead breaking instances I had the front axle chained up. I thought perhaps it was low air pressure the first time but I have been checking more frequently and I know the pressure was good last night. Is it possible the tire chains are working them selves between the tire and the rim as the tires flex? Both times I was able to remount the tire and seat the bead using the ratchet strap method.

Attachments

• IMG_7127.JPG
    IMG_7127.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7088.JPG
    IMG_7088.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
   / tire chain questions #2  
What do you consider a good pressure? Maybe try upping whatever you consider that to be. When running chains their is no reason to be cheap with air pressure, run it up to the max rating. The chains may be indirectly contributing to the problem by allowing you to put more sideways force on the tire, but I doubt they are getting into the bead.

/ tire chain questions
Hello Cougsfan,

Goodyear stamp on the tires says 46 psi max I had them at 41 psi so possible but unlikely. You might be on to something with additional side torque provided by the chains being the cause.

/ tire chain questions #4  
The next thing to try then is don't angle your blade quite as much.

/ tire chain questions #5  
Do the chains wrap around the tires far enough that while pulling they could be pinching the tire sidewalls together pulling the tire bead off the rim?

/ tire chain questions #6  
This ^^^ got me thinking

When your blade is angled it puts pressure on the front end in the opposite direction. Without chains your front tires would tend to slip a bit in that direction. Lateral pressure on the tires will be increased if the wheels are straight and increased more if you turn your wheels the in the same direction as the blade. Chains will reduce the slip/increase grip and add lateral pressure on the tires/wheels. The blade is pushing your front end to the side but your tires want to stay where they due to the chains. Something has to give and it appears to be the beads on the tires.

Last edited:
   / tire chain questions #7  
Last night about 9:00 pm I had the left front tire came off the bead. We were experiencing a good old atmospheric river and I was trying to make sure our road didn't wash out. I had just been cleaning a borrow ditch take off with my angle blade and when I came out of the ditch the tire was trying to come off the rim. This is the second time this has happened. Just after Thanksgiving I was plowing out the mail cluster box for the mail carrier and right front tire came off the bead. This k3510 HST is my second 4x4 CUT and I have never had this happen before. This is the second season I have had chains and in both bead breaking instances I had the front axle chained up. I thought perhaps it was low air pressure the first time but I have been checking more frequently and I know the pressure was good last night. Is it possible the tire chains are working them selves between the tire and the rim as the tires flex? Both times I was able to remount the tire and seat the bead using the ratchet strap method.

Even if pressure is "good," if the chain can torque the tire from the bead, then you need either a bead lock or more air pressure.

/ tire chain questions #8  

Not angling the blade so much will make the machine push harder. When possible, you want snow to windrow off of the moldboard as seen at the beginning of this video.

/ tire chain questions #9  
I would imagine chained fronts and a hard plow angle could put more lateral pressure on the beads. I never really much thought about it because I don't use chains.
I did have a front tire come off the bead in 2016 just as I started plowing in a blizzard. Man... I was "upset"! My issue was low tire pressure though. I will not be making that mistake again.

/ tire chain questions #10  
Not angling the blade so much will make the machine push harder. When possible, you want snow to windrow off of the moldboard as seen at the beginning of this video.

I agree it will make the machine have to push harder, and you should normally use all the angle you can. But more angle does create more side stress. Without seeing the exact situation it is hard to say if that was good advice or not. But it wouldn't hurt to try, particularly if the snow isn't too deep. I would think though, with the tires at maximum pressure it should be hard to push the tire off the bead no matter what you do. Another thing for the op to keep in mind is that the pressure will drop with temperature.