Tire chain sizing and equivalence

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #1  

fishhead

Gold Member
Yooperdave's thread reminded me of the challenges of finding front chains for my 3720. One of the things that might make it easier is knowledge of alternate sizing that is the same, pretty darn close, workable, or can be trimmed to a great fit.

First there is the issue of the various numbering systems.

Second it seems that some minor variations in dimensions may not matter:

1 same overall diameter and width but different rim size- would not the chains be roughly the same but cover a different percentage of the sidewall? And thus workable

2 same overall diameter but width differs slightly- seems like often they would drape more or less over the sides. Again workable

3 chain for slightly larger diameter tires- when can they be cut, and when not?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #2  
Good questions. I just ordered some chains for the front on my JD855. The listing showed several "will fit..." options. Being 14" front tires, these look to be sized for garden tractor rears. They're shipped and should be here in a few days. Hopefully TSC's web page is correct.

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence
Thanks, seems really tough to get high quality chains for the front.

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #4  
   / Tire chain sizing and equivalence #5  
Where are you located Mr. Fishhead?

There is "Windy Ridge" in NH known for carrying Euro style studded chains.

I just picked up 2 sets of OFA EKO studded chains at Austin Farm Enterprises, a small logging supplier in central NY state.

The below pics are from the shipping crates confirming each covers a range of sizes with adjustable links to fit as needed.

In my case, they had the front chains in the right size. For the rears, I was looking for chains for 17.5 x 24 tire (Kubota MX6000 with R4 tires).

They didn't have the specific size in stock, but said the 13.6 x 28 size chains would fit my tire and gave me a good price and an OK to return if they didn't fit.

They did fit very well.
1510491041.jpg
28390718.jpg
1505606880.jpg

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #6  

I just picked up 2 sets of OFA EKO studded chains at Austin Farm Enterprises, a small logging supplier in central NY state.

The below pics are from the shipping crates confirming each covers a range of sizes with adjustable links to fit as needed.

In my case, they had the front chains in the right size. For the rears, I was looking for chains for 17.5 x 24 tire (Kubota MX6000 with R4 tires).

They didn't have the specific size in stock, but said the 13.6 x 28 size chains would fit my tire and gave me a good price and an OK to return if they didn't fit.

They did fit very well.View attachment 732097View attachment 732098View attachment 732099
Nice chains.

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #7  
For the smaller tractors with small front tires look at the UTV chains especially in the diamond configuration.

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #8  

They did fit very well.View attachment 732097View attachment 732098View attachment 732099
I run the OFA EKO 9 chains on the rear of my L5740 and they're excellent chains and provide very aggressive traction in all conditions. I purchased them from Lisco II in Bainbridge, NY 2-3 years ago, which appears to have transitioned recently to Austin Farm Supply. I've been thinking about getting a set for my front tires since I do all my firewood cutting in the winter.

/ Tire chain sizing and equivalence #9  
I run the OFA EKO 9 chains on the rear of my L5740 and they're excellent chains and provide very aggressive traction in all conditions. I purchased them from Lisco II in Bainbridge, NY 2-3 years ago, which appears to have transitioned recently to Austin Farm Supply. I've been thinking about getting a set for my front tires since I do all my firewood cutting in the winter.
Austin in Bainbridge is where I got mine also. Jeff is a good guy to work with.

Was running with only rear chains. Adding the EKO 8mm, which are sized for the front has made a transformational difference on the MX6000.

Was out plowing today...and loving every minute of it!