Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them??

/ Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them?? #1  

mjstef

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XR3037C
Bought a set in 2012 from Tractiotirechains.com but it seems they are out of business. I REALLY want H-Bars but they are near impossible to find and if i do find them are $600+ dollars. Anyone have any leads? 43x16-20 rears and 25x8.50-14 fronts. LS XR3037C

/ Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them?? #2  
TSC Tractor Supply has them. Was in there today getting brooder lamps and saw them by the battery supplies.

/ Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them??
Can't find them on there site. I would have to order online as TSC is 350 miles from me............

/ Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them?? #5  
I have DUO's on my DK35 with the 43x16-20 tires you mention. It was hard to find a suitable size. A local supplier made mine from bulk stock. I had to return the first set for a narrower set that rides higher on the tire. I see tirechains.com has quit supplying DUO's for the 43x16-20 tires. However, canadianchains.ca has them and you could perhaps get them there or use the information to order the same DUO pattern from a US (I assume you are in the US) supplier.

You can also research chain sizes on QualityChainCorp.com and LaCledeChain.com. They have extensive catalogues with good details. They can give you names of distributors. As well, you may have local suppliers who make chains from bulk patterns.

When I purchased my chains three years ago the CanadianChains.ca site changed the DUO pattern for the 43x16-20 a couple of times that year, moving from 7 patterns of 12-link(DUO242)to 9 patterns of 11-link cross chains, then to using 10-link crosschains(item DUO293 pattern, I don't know how many patterns). I think they are back to 12-link patterns.

Page 69 of Quality Chain catalogue(attached)shows their chain DUO239 for a 43x16-20 tire. It uses a 12-link crosschain as shown on page 85(attached). In the 2015 catalogue this pattern is called DUO295 but in the 2012 catalogue the 12-link pattern was DUO242.

The canadianchains.ca site shows a DUO chain for the 43x16-20 as $458, but they don't indicate the chain model number.

My chains have a 13-link crosschain. However, if I were doing it again I would go to the 12-link crosschain which ride higher on the tire and allow more patterns.

Standard DUO's are patchy and rough for the wide, small diameter 43x16-20 tires. I had 7 patterns of 13-link cross chains. They were patchy and rough riding. I modified them by adding 4 patterns (for a total of 11) to each chain as shown in this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/268885-duo-chains-planned-modifications.html

I fill the end gap with two standard non_DUO cross chains to each chain. I could use one more DUO pattern but would have to modify it since the total chain would be a bit too long. If the cross chains were 12 links instead of my 13 links the total of twelve 12-link patterns on each side would likely be ideal.

Re: the front chains:

My fronts are 27x10-15 compared to your 25x8.50-14. I think the DUO's might be hard to fit and very rough for such small tires. I used smaller diameter regular 2-link ladder chains which work well and are cheaper. They also are less aggressive and don't put as much strain on the front end.

I modified an old set of chains as shown in this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...nly-front-chains-post3135822.html#post3135822

20130131_Chains_Front.JPG

In addition to the uncommon 43x16-20 tire size, non-adjustable rims and tight fender supports made fitting chains particularly challenging on my DK35. A chain tool, bolt cutters, patience and time were required to finally get something that worked.

If I were starting from scratch I'd likely go with Trygg or similar chains. Since our tires are actually skid steer tires, another option is to look at skid steer chains. I notice Laclede has some with a pattern similar to my modified pattern.

Attachments

• Quality Chain 2014-2015 Catalog_Page69.pdf
    688.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Quality Chain 2014-2015 Catalog_Page85.pdf
    555.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / Tire chains???? Where are y'all finding them?? #6  

It looks like the chains for the 43x16-20, #1073010, have 15 links in the cross chain, which would likely provide poor coverage for your tire. There would be a lot of tire without chain on it. Here is a photo of my first set, which also had a 15-link cross chain:

20111213_DUO_TooLarge.JPG

Also, the item #1073010 chains appear to have the DUO pattern legs with 6-link spacing on the side chain instead of the usual 4th links. That would add more area to the part of the tire not covered by chain. I don't think you would be happy with that chain. I did not like my DUO's(where the DUO legs at 4 link intervals) until I tightened up the pattern by eliminating the link between separate DUO patterns.