Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

HL649

Tractor
5600 Toolcat "D"
Does anyone use tire chains on their 5600? I am lacking a little bit of traction in the winter time.

/ Tire Chains #2  
Yes. I run chains on both my 'B' series TC's. I have also replaced the tires with studded mud & snow tires.

/ Tire Chains #3  
Yes, I run chains most of the winter...anything else is a joke where I live. If you use chains make sure you fasten any extra, loose chain so that your zerks survive the experience.

/ Tire Chains #4  
Excellent point Spudgunner! We also carry a chain tool and extra cross links in the TC's just in case we break a link on the route. Depending on the circumstances, we can either replace the link or just remove the broken cross link and keep going.

/ Tire Chains #5  
i run vbar chaines in winter makes big differance only thing is they are hard to put on very heavy.

/ Tire Chains #6  
I know what you mean! I have 'web' chains on my W11B and it virtually takes two people to lift one chain for installation.

/ Tire Chains #7  
Hopefully you will read this before making a mistake. The largest mistake being buying a set of chains from tirejunk.com.... All there chains are absolutly CHINA, ask them. If you have no pride and say the china set will do, know that tire chains take a beating and buying domestic or import of good quality will service you much better in the future. Take into account you will most likly be using your chains in the worst of weather. If they break you will need to remove them so the cross chains dont rip your fender off your rig. Alright enough with the ranting, Some simple steps to outfitting your machine 1- how much clearence do you have from your fender to your tire(assuming you will be chaining your rears. I would never recomend fronts chains unless its the last resort. Its hard on front end components.) 2- How much will the chains be used and on what surface, tar is hard on chains you may want a harder material. Good chains will have different grades of quailty. This is why your seeing such a price difference. Back to the surface, if your driveway/ road is asphalt you may not want to go to aggressive unless there is a safty issue. 3- what tread do you have. ok onto styles there are two ladder and patteren. ladder is the clasic style and it looks like a ladder when you lay them on the floor. patteren is for lack of a better explanation a skidder chain. Although skidder chains are patteren style thay are not the only style out there thay make patteren styles in much less aggressive styles. Anyway there is so much more. I would call a local distributer ask questions ect. If you cant find someone local call BB Chain ask for Pete he is really informative. 1800.698.2640

/ Tire Chains #8  
Excellent observation regarding the chain (and steel) from China! I finally found an excellent supplier for bulk cross chain. It gets really old rebuilding cheap chain from China. In a good winter we were rebuilding 3 times. The new stuff lasts almost an entire season.

I have also discovered that the replacement cutting edges from the dealer (not the dealer's fault) don't even last 1/2 a season. My old edges last 2 and 3 seasons. I guess the supplier for Bobcat went with Chinese steel... :-(