Tire pressure

/ Tire pressure #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
I've got a '98 Kubota L3010 w/ Ag tires and I'm curious as to what the correct tire pressure is for front/rear. Thanks.

/ Tire pressure #2  
Depends on what you do with it.

Fronts; Is there a loader on this tractor? If so, run the highest recommended pressure (on the tire sidewall) Gives more stability under load. If no loader, I usually run about 80% of max recommended. (Softens the ride a bit. Too soft makes 'em bounce)

Rears; I run 12 to 14 PSI in bias ply, and 10 to 12 in radials. When plowing, I drop 'em down to 9 or 10 PSI (bias) and 8 PSI (radials) It all depends on the "footprint" your tire and wheel combination gives you. You want as much tire (bars) contacting the ground as possible, but too soft will give you that same bounce, plus make the tire susceptable to slipping on the wheel. That's bad with tubeless, and REAL bad with tubes! Also, low pressure makes the rear "squirrely" (unstable) with anything heavy on the rear hitch.

/ Tire pressure #3  
look for the tire brand. Try to get a Agricutural tire manual and look up the recommendations from the tire manufacturer. Goodyear and Firestone print the book and offer internet access. Radial tire pressure depends on the load. Bias has one tire pressure. If you lower the pressure in a Bias ply like you do in a radial it can damage the side walls. Bias tires do not have the flexing capability of radial tha will provide a greater surface are that imporves traction and decreases compaction. Also check the owners manual

/ Tire pressure #4  
You have to be careful in running the pressure too low, as side force (from turning quickly with the fronts or hitting a log with the rears) could more easily push the tires off the rim. Thought I read on one of these forums that folks mentioned 8 psi or so is about that limit.

A fellow at church was using a wheel barrow Sunday afternoon. He hit something to the side and blew the tire off its rim. Could have been a little low in pressure. It's funny because it had slime in it to protect it against punctures.

By wrapping the tire in a tension strap and using a 12v pump, we got it back up. Wiped the slime off from the outside of the tire.

If you run really low pressures, you'll probably want to use a tube in the tire. Even then, you run the risk of spinning the tire on the rim if the pressure is too low.

Ralph

/ Tire pressure
Thanks for the help. I don't have a FEL on it, yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not sure if they are Firestone or Goodyear, it's one of the two, but am not sure which one. I will check it out and look on the websites. Thanks again!

/ Tire pressure #6  
You need to run them as to the recommendations in your operator's manual. Tire pressure will change your lead ratio and on a 4wd you do not want to alter it too much.