tire question

/ tire question #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
TSC was having their dollar days, they had a lot of tires on sale.
I bought some tires that have a 300lb load rating.
I want to make a better garden cart that i can pull some stone out of the woods with and that by bolting on two V shapes haul a log out if needed.
I am just wondering that if i make a cart that has two axels will that increase the amount of weight that i can carry, or will it allow the load to be shared better increaseing the life of the tire? my idea is this is a tandem axel cart) hitch______tire__hitch____tire (the ___ would be the bed of the cart.)
thanks

Last edited:
   / tire question #2  
TSC was having their dollar days, they had a lot of tires on sale.
I bought some tires that have a 300lb load rating.
I want to make a better garden cart that i can pull some stone out of the woods with and that by bolting on two V shapes haul a log out if needed.
I am just wondering that if i make a cart that has two axels will that increase the amount of weight that i can carry, or will it allow the load to be shared better increaseing the life of the tire? my idea is this hitch______tire__hitch____tire the ___ would be the bed of the cart.
thanks

Not sure what you are trying to describe about the hitches and the tires in that last line there.

But, If you are making a tandem axle trailer, yes it will double the capacity.

But tire life will probabally be reduced, especially if you are still carring max load. Tandem trailers "scrub" the tires a bit when turning. This increases wear.

/ tire question
I didnt have coffee this morning and i could not remember the name tandem (2yo was up half the night too). You answered exactly what i needed to know, thank you.

/ tire question #4  
Make sure you've had at least 2 cups before you try to back it up!
-Jim

/ tire question #5  
Why the hitch in the middle of the trailer?

/ tire question
wvpolekat--Two different trailers, hitched together so that i can carry a log, im doing some canopy opening in our forest and want to just get certain logs out. This way i can make it longer to avoid dragging the log all over. The path is pretty smooth now and i dont want huge ruts in there to collect water. Ill see if i can google sketch it up to show what i mean.

Coffee wont help me with backing it out, i am horrible with a trailer. But this will be in the woods and I can blame it on that.

/ tire question #7  
If I had a picture of the tire I could tell you more. But with 300 lb capacity they are probably wheel barrow size or smaller. Do not build a tandem trailer with those wheels. If you use two axles the trailer will need to be either hinged or one axle set up to steer like a hay wagon. The reason is that the wheels if they are the kind that have rims halves bolted together, they will not handle any side loading such as you get on a tandem axle set up. Just watch the side loads on a tractor trailer refer rear tandams as it goes around the corner ( I bought twenty of them and had to modify them all)

/ tire question
Those are the tires, wheel barrel like, some have an aggressive thread on it.

/ tire question #9  
If you have the means adding some sort of suspension to your cart will help. The usual problem with tires you're talking about is the axle isn't very strong (since it's planned load is only 300lbs) and usually is designed to be supported on both side of the wheel.

/ tire question #10  
Don't think 'tandem' is what you're describing. A tandem trailer has a double axle, not two halves with an axle on each. This is more of a compound trailer. We use to have a sleigh like you describe, called it a 'bob sleigh'. On a tractor-trailer set up you call it a 'B-Train'.