Tire Slime

/ Tire Slime #11  
dieselpower --- so the brown yuck is slime (a product I stopped using because it didn't work for me) and the blue is tire seal ....so what's the pink stuff? I've gone to ultraseal I ordered from gemplers. bullet proof version.

/ Tire Slime #12  
The pink is TireSeal. The "blue" stuff is what happened to the "green" Slime after 1 day in the trunk of my car in the heat. It turned blue and started to bleed out a oily substance.

/ Tire Slime #13  
I've always used Berryman's tire sealer.

/ Tire Slime #14  
I never thought about it one way or the other, but after seeing DieselPower's pics, I'll probably get TireSeal from now on. Don't plan on replacing the Slime in the tires where I used it until it is time to replace the tires.

DieselPower, what is the price difference between the two and who carries the TireSeal? TSC carries the Slime, but I don't recall ever seeing the TireSeal anywhere.

/ Tire Slime #15  
TireSeal is a TRC product. A case of 24 one pint (=16 ounces) bottles is $141.36 ($5.89 per pint), case of 6 one gallon jugs is $133.50 ($22.25 per gallon), 6 gallon pail is $103.20 ($17.20 per gallon).

I priced Slime the other day in TSC and this was what they had. 24 ounce bottle (1 1/2 pints) $10.88, 32 ounce bottle (2 pints) $14.81 and a gallon jug was $24.88.

/ Tire Slime #16  
Pretty much the first day I brought my tractor home 4 years ago and 800 hours a nail pierced the front tire. I had heard about green slime on this site so I went to the TSC store to see if they had it. In Canada it's named something else but it is a green slime in appearane. Well I filled both my front tires and that fixed up the problem and I haven't had a problem since. There is no noticable lumpiness when I drive on pavement. The bottom line is Lots of folks have had good luck with slime reported on this site. I've never heard one complaint. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mess when you need to change a tire but I am not sure why I would need to do that. Anyway the pink stuff might be as good but I've never heard any reports on it til now. As a Canadian my tires encounter terrible cold and some pretty hot summer days and the green slime does a great job. Unless I hear testimonials from a bunch of users of another product on this site I'll be sticking with the Green stuff.

/ Tire Slime #17  
BotaBIll, There are several products similar to Slime. Berryman's for instance. I have no personal knowledge of any that don't work OK and have heard no claims that any don't work.

I have heard some bad comments regarding the instant spare or "Spare in a can." Still, that has its place. I'd rather have my wife armed with a can of that than be stranded. I'll suffer the aftermath later in my own good time.

Pat

/ Tire Slime #18  
I have used slime numerous times. I used it in a car tire that had hit a pot hole and had a bent rim. The slime was used while a new rim was being found and the tire remounted. The slime worked so well we just kept the old rim and drove it like that for a year. The tire was still holding air when we traded that car off. I saw the slime booth at the national hardware show. They have an ATV tire on display with a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in it. You can actually see the green slime where it has plugged all the holes. The tire looked like it had measles with green spots but it was holding air. Tire Seal might be a superior product but availability is an issue for me. I can get slime in any walmart, auto supply store, and a local agri store (Atwoods) carries the gallon size for a pretty good price. It has worked very well for me when I have needed it. I would point out that they do make slime for tube tires and tubeless. I dont know if there is a difference in the product but it is labeled in different bottles.

/ Tire Slime #19  
patrick_g said:
BotaBIll, There are several products similar to Slime. Berryman's for instance. I have no personal knowledge of any that don't work OK and have heard no claims that any don't work.

I have heard some bad comments regarding the instant spare or "Spare in a can." Still, that has its place. I'd rather have my wife armed with a can of that than be stranded. I'll suffer the aftermath later in my own good time.

Pat
Patrick I seem to recall that one of the problems with spare in a can was that if it gets hot there was one brand that exploded in trunks. You might check and see how accurate that story is and if it is a particular brand that does it.

/ Tire Slime #20  
The first time I heard about slime was when I bought a bike in college. The bike shop talked me into putting slime in the tire. A few weeks later I rode through a patch of thorns on the trail. I didn't count how many thorns were in the tires, but I did see that there wasn't an area of the tread more than an inch in diameter that didn't have a thorn in it.

I knew I was walking home. I carried the bike about a quarter mile to a gas station and filled the tires with air just as an exercise in futility. To my relief and amazement, the tires held air. I pulled the thorns out when I got home and rode the bike for another couple of years just like that.