Buying Advice Tire Type

/ Tire Type #11  
It sound like you can get the AG tires from a range of 2 to 16 ply ... the R14 seem to come in 6 to 8 ply ... the search result is ambiguous tho must depend on the size... you should ask the dealer, but if you can get the AG tire at a higher ply then its a no brainer... even if its not the case like I said for your application I would go with the AG tires

I do lots of wood work as well and never had a problem with my AG tires ... not sure the ply tho ...

1680465982841.png

Last edited:
   / Tire Type #12  
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tractor for my hunting land.
My land has low spots, hold water except for summer, softer ground and some firmer areas.
I do a lot of grunt work with the tractor from front end work, food plots tilling and discing, dragging tree logs etc.
My current tractor has AG tires and has performed very well but my new tractor will have twice the lift capacity and thus I am concerned about AG tire roll over on the front end so considering a heavier ply, wider tire setup. I lift some heavy box blinds etc with the FEL. I am trying to decide if I should stay AG, or R4 or the new R14 and I only have experience with AG so any advice is appreciated.

You don't want anything except for an ag-type tire if you are going through sloppy areas and doing tillage as an ag tire will have much better traction than the other types of tires. The question would really be whether or not you get R-1Ws instead of regular R-1s if you do most of your work in wet, sloppy conditions. R-1Ws have 25% deeper lugs than R-1s and do better in wetter conditions, but don't have such deep lugs like R-2s (twice as deep as R-1s) that you end up with excessive lug squirm if it's not completely sloppy. People usually choose tires other than ag tires due to their lower traction compared to ag tires- the more traction you can get, the more you will disturb the soil, and they choose industrials, turfs, or one of the newer patterns like R14s over ags because they tear up turf less.

The manufacturers usually specify tires that have a sufficient weight rating to support using an appropriately-sized loader to its full capacity. You shouldn't have any trouble if you have tires of at least the size and ply rating of what the manufacturer installs from the factor, if you don't install some excessively huge aftermarket loader, have appropriate counterweight, and most importantly, keep the tires inflated properly. All of the times I've seen a tire roll off of a rim have been due to inadequate inflation. Industrial tires are usually more resistant to damage than ag tires (generally due to a higher ply rating, usually 8-12 ply vs. generally 6 or sometimes 8 for ags) but the reduction in traction is far more than their increase in resistance to damage. You can also get many ag tire sizes in higher-than-normal-ply ratings too. Bias ply tires are also more resistant to damage than radials and self-clean the mud off a lot better, but they usually have a lower load capacity.

The last word in puncture resistance would be to foam fill the tires. This makes them nice and heavy which would be good for traction and makes them puncture-proof. The cons are it is much more involved when you wear out the tires and need to replace them, and the ride quality is much worse if you ever road the tractor.

/ Tire Type #13  
I've been quite happy with regards to my R14's performance in mud and snow, as well as in the garden. I can't speak to working in the woods, but they've done well for me.

/ Tire Type #15  
I would recommend sticking with r1 ag tires
I also put in lots of food plots, and doing lots of wildlife habitat work
With 2 similar tractors, 1 with R4s and 1 with R1s,
The tractor with ag tires could go through places in 2 wheel drive, that the r4 tires could not go even in 4x4

/ Tire Type
We have no idea how big your new tractor is - but...... I have a Kubota M6040. With the FEL, grapple, loaded rear tires and HD rear blade - it weighs 10,100#. I have six ply R-1 Firestones - front and rear. I lift heavy pine logs and very large rocks. Some times as heavy as 3000#. When I get a lift that heavy - I lift just enough so the grapple clears the ground. I call it - knuckle dragging.

I've NEVER had a problem with rolling the R-1's off the front tires. I run the front tires at 40psi.

View attachment 792845
Thank you, good to know, never had that issue with my current tractor either but never lifted much weight.
When I was talking with the dealer, kioti CK3510, and he mentioned the front AG tire roll over issue with weight on FEL.

Nice Tractor! For a lot of heavy work I was renting a Kubota 72 skid steer with grapple, man that thing could lift.

/ Tire Type
Also, love that old Kioti.
Thank You, been a great tractor to me, no complaints.
Looking forward to some modern comforts like Hydro and a bigger platform for easier on and off and quick disconnect / 3rd function grapple.