Tired of the battery acid (optima battery)

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
After constantly chasing spilled battery acid all over the front on my machine I fixed it. It seemed I was spraying neutralizer all the time with little luck. The latch even started showing signs of damage.
Once the old battery was removed, I cleaned everything and repainted it. The Optima is a bit lower so I cut and rebent the tie down rods.
We use other AGMs but this was handy and I’ve had good luck with Optimas too.
IMG_1055.JPG

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #2  
I have put an Odyssey AGM in my M6040. Lordy - based upon the price alone - it better last forever. When I started using the AGM battery - I keep it hooked to a Deltran Battery Tender.

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery)
I couldn’t monetize AGMs in my RV or my diesel truck- with good care and good lead acids and not hammering we are seeing about 5 years. AGMs we see 7-8 years in normal use. On the vehicles with computers, radios and all kinds of other constant draws we were seeing 1-2 years with lead acid and 4-5 years with AGMs- needless to say we switched to AGMs for those! Each vehicle has 4 batteries so it adds up fast!

In the case of the tractor I just got tired of chasing the mess and seeing the rust etc all over the frame etc. OCD took over the cost....

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #4  
After constantly chasing spilled battery acid all over the front on my machine I fixed it. It seemed I was spraying neutralizer all the time with little luck. The latch even started showing signs of damage.
Once the old battery was removed, I cleaned everything and repainted it. The Optima is a bit lower so I cut and rebent the tie down rods.
We use other AGMs but this was handy and I致e had good luck with Optimas too.
View attachment 561705

I like AGMs, for many applications.

You might have checked already, but it's probably worth closely monitoring alternator voltage while running. AGMs are pretty tough, but will have an earlier demise if your regulator is running too high.

Rgds, D.

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #5  
Another option, is a maint free side terminal battery. I had two John Deeres that I changed to side terminal. That works good, too.

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #6  
I've had great luck with Odyssey and believe they are worth what you pay for them. A superior battery to Optima IMHO and higher capacity for the same envelope size. If you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #7  
I guess I bought my Optima when there weren't the problems I hear about these days. I've had mine for 6-7 years, kept on a float charger in off season. By simply using the same group number as the factory battery, the fit was perfect with no modifications needed.

I advise everyone in need of a new battery for your tractor, consider a sealed AGM type. You will pay more, but you won't be cleaning up future battery compartment corrosion. It happened to me twice. The last time, I coated the compartment with undercoating material. No more problems.

/ Tired of the battery acid (optima battery) #8  
I guess I bought my Optima when there weren't the problems I hear about these days. I've had mine for 6-7 years, kept on a float charger in off season. By simply using the same group number as the factory battery, the fit was perfect with no modifications needed.

I advise everyone in need of a new battery for your tractor, consider a sealed AGM type. You will pay more, but you won't be cleaning up future battery compartment corrosion. It happened to me twice. The last time, I coated the compartment with undercoating material. No more problems.

I agree, whatever you do get, an AGM is worth it over the long haul in most cases but you do have to take care of them whatever you get. No battery is going to put up with abuse no matter how much money you pay for it. AGMs are just better from any standpoint and you get what you pay for as with anything else. The only Odyssey that failed for me was before they were even called Odyssey before Enersys picked up Hawker Energy and that was from a voltage regulator that went crazy and put 16 - 18 volts to it. That thing swelled up like a toad. Of course it was toast after that but that's to be expected. I thought I'd ruined a couple by sulphating them, my abuse and my fault, but I managed to recover them so now I have a couple of spares. Now that I learned my lesson, I take better care of them by keeping them on a maintenance charger when not being used for long periods. That goes for any battery.