Tires Chains variation

/ Tires Chains variation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those chains won't last more than one day on a tractor. Take a look here for something more suitable. )</font>

I have taken the backhoe off but the Woods 4 pt. frame has another narrow place under the floor board. It looked like the cable version would easily fit. Thanks for the heads up on not ordering them.

I looked at the chains at that link and it looks close. In the winter, I will use the FEL and scraper blade with chains for snow removal. In the other three seasons, chains would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I do know I don't want to remove the Woods frame.

So...which of the chains do you think will require the least clearance. I figure we got about 1 1/2" clearance on the inside between frame and tire. I am going to try chains and if they don't work, will sell them slightly used.

CBB

/ Tires Chains variation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those chains won't last more than one day on a tractor. Take a look here for something more suitable. )</font>

I have taken the backhoe off but the Woods 4 pt. frame has another narrow place under the floor board. It looked like the cable version would easily fit. Thanks for the heads up on not ordering them.

I looked at the chains at that link and it looks close. In the winter, I will use the FEL and scraper blade with chains for snow removal. In the other three seasons, chains would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I do know I don't want to remove the Woods frame.

So...which of the chains do you think will require the least clearance. I figure we got about 1 1/2" clearance on the inside between frame and tire. I am going to try chains and if they don't work, will sell them slightly used.

CBB

/ Tires Chains variation #13  
What are people's experiences with leaving good tire chains on ag tires all the time? On CK30HST they are so difficult to put on for winter I am tempted to leave them on. Also they give substantially more traction on some surfaces during the summer too.

Mike

/ Tires Chains variation #14  
What are people's experiences with leaving good tire chains on ag tires all the time? On CK30HST they are so difficult to put on for winter I am tempted to leave them on. Also they give substantially more traction on some surfaces during the summer too.

Mike

/ Tires Chains variation #15  
CBB, I'm still wondering about being able to turn that one bolt around that sticks out so close to the rear tire. Is it possible to bolt it through the opposite way and have only the head on that side?
John

/ Tires Chains variation #16  
CBB, I'm still wondering about being able to turn that one bolt around that sticks out so close to the rear tire. Is it possible to bolt it through the opposite way and have only the head on that side?
John

/ Tires Chains variation #17  
Your tractor is pretty heavy. That coupled with 4WD, are you sure you really need chains? I know you have a lot of snow up that way. But, chains are a PITA to put on and off. Are your tires loaded? If not, that might suffice.

If you do get chains on that clear the woods frame, will they always clear it? There can be a good deal of slop in chains as they "wear-in" to the tires. I recommend using heavy duty bungees to keep them tight and to the outside away from the bh frame as you use it.

/ Tires Chains variation #18  
Your tractor is pretty heavy. That coupled with 4WD, are you sure you really need chains? I know you have a lot of snow up that way. But, chains are a PITA to put on and off. Are your tires loaded? If not, that might suffice.

If you do get chains on that clear the woods frame, will they always clear it? There can be a good deal of slop in chains as they "wear-in" to the tires. I recommend using heavy duty bungees to keep them tight and to the outside away from the bh frame as you use it.

/ Tires Chains variation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Your tractor is pretty heavy. That coupled with 4WD, are you sure you really need chains? I know you have a lot of snow up that way. But, chains are a PITA to put on and off. Are your tires loaded? If not, that might suffice.

If you do get chains on that clear the woods frame, will they always clear it? There can be a good deal of slop in chains as they "wear-in" to the tires. I recommend using heavy duty bungees to keep them tight and to the outside away from the bh frame as you use it. )</font>

Good points. We used rubber straps to hold the chains on tires for many years. At least a few times a year, someone knocks on the door in the middle of the winter...cold and needing to be pulled out. So we have to go warm up the tractor, drive a few miles to where they went off the road and pull them out. Price---a twelve pack...almost half the people actually come back and pay up. The other half we never see again...which is okay. When you are driving those 2 miles fast, the chains would slap pretty hard without those rubber straps. Last winter, our JD was in the shop so we used our neighbors Kubota (bigger than a CK20 but smaller than the JD 990). It has no chains. After a few attempts to clear the driveways, I just parked that tractor and used my truck to beat the snow down. No chains = just slides around. All the tractors around me have loaded tires from the old 8N's, to the three Kubota's, old 1700 Ford, JD 990 and our neighbors Kioti DK40 (which they totally love).
So I will be getting chains because my dad told me since I got a cab tractor, I just inherited the job of doing five driveways, the shortest of which is 75 yards and the longest is 150 yards. If I have to disconnect the WOODS 4 pt. Frame, I will. You know...Buffalo has the rep for snow but we are 65 miles south of Buffalo and we are the ones that are in the snow belt. I can recall there being so much snow the town plows, loaded and with chains could not clear the road and we had to put the snow blower on the tractor and clear a path for them so they could get through and do the roads. It gets so cold that I actually froze my eyes from snowblower mist freezing in them and had to stop wearing contacts as a result (that was doing all five driveways in a row and yes, I should have worn the ski goggles). That is one reason I wanted the tractor cab with a heater so much. Chains? You bet.

/ Tires Chains variation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Your tractor is pretty heavy. That coupled with 4WD, are you sure you really need chains? I know you have a lot of snow up that way. But, chains are a PITA to put on and off. Are your tires loaded? If not, that might suffice.

If you do get chains on that clear the woods frame, will they always clear it? There can be a good deal of slop in chains as they "wear-in" to the tires. I recommend using heavy duty bungees to keep them tight and to the outside away from the bh frame as you use it. )</font>

Good points. We used rubber straps to hold the chains on tires for many years. At least a few times a year, someone knocks on the door in the middle of the winter...cold and needing to be pulled out. So we have to go warm up the tractor, drive a few miles to where they went off the road and pull them out. Price---a twelve pack...almost half the people actually come back and pay up. The other half we never see again...which is okay. When you are driving those 2 miles fast, the chains would slap pretty hard without those rubber straps. Last winter, our JD was in the shop so we used our neighbors Kubota (bigger than a CK20 but smaller than the JD 990). It has no chains. After a few attempts to clear the driveways, I just parked that tractor and used my truck to beat the snow down. No chains = just slides around. All the tractors around me have loaded tires from the old 8N's, to the three Kubota's, old 1700 Ford, JD 990 and our neighbors Kioti DK40 (which they totally love).
So I will be getting chains because my dad told me since I got a cab tractor, I just inherited the job of doing five driveways, the shortest of which is 75 yards and the longest is 150 yards. If I have to disconnect the WOODS 4 pt. Frame, I will. You know...Buffalo has the rep for snow but we are 65 miles south of Buffalo and we are the ones that are in the snow belt. I can recall there being so much snow the town plows, loaded and with chains could not clear the road and we had to put the snow blower on the tractor and clear a path for them so they could get through and do the roads. It gets so cold that I actually froze my eyes from snowblower mist freezing in them and had to stop wearing contacts as a result (that was doing all five driveways in a row and yes, I should have worn the ski goggles). That is one reason I wanted the tractor cab with a heater so much. Chains? You bet.