Tires for the new front end

/ Tires for the new front end #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
I finally got the front wheel drive fixed in my TC40:D. So, now that it has FWD, those slicks need to be replaced. The book says they are 10x16.5 6 ply tires. Common size, lots of choices. The question becomes, 6 ply, 8 ply, 10 ply, any advantage to a heavier grade? Anybody have any horror stories with a particular brand? Anybody have a set of tires that lasted a riduculous amount of hours?

I know, I know, I might as well ask what brand oil you put in your 710 cap, but I thought I'd ask.

/ Tires for the new front end #2  
The higher the ply rating, the higher the price rating. Get as high of ply as your wallet will handle, as typically the higher the ply, the longer they last.
David from jax

(you already knew that, didn't you!)

/ Tires for the new front end #3  
Didn't I see those tires on ebay for $95 with free shipping? Getting them mounted might take an extra 5-10 dollars, depending on the tire guys mood when you drive up, but shouldn't be too much more.
David from jax

/ Tires for the new front end #4  
The higher the ply rating, the higher the price rating. Get as high of ply as your wallet will handle, as typically the higher the ply, the longer they last.
David from jax

(you already knew that, didn't you!)

Additionally, higher ply rating tires of a given size can (and usually do) have a larger static loaded radius and rolling circumference. Anything over an 8 ply in this size is a bear to mount and is more suited for a skid steer loader than a compact tractor front. But to each his own.