Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground?

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
Looking at this: https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...oint-tractor-subsoiler-attachment/191314.html
The user manual doesn't specify dimensions in the parts list, and the only photo with dimensions just says the top to bottom height is 52.25 inches.

I'm trying to figure out if I can mount this thing on my MX5400 and still be able to move it without the subsoiler being in the ground everywhere I drive.
If I look at the height of my lower arms on pin center with another attachment the lower arms are 27" (pin center) above the ground, and the top pin is 44 inches above ground (with the top link near shortest setting).

Anybody have any ideas?

I need to do some small amounts of field prep on previously worked but long unused ground, and nobody seems to have anything in stock to help with that. I'm looking at this as a 2022 desperate measure for some small garden work on previously worked but long unused ground (full of grape vines - mostly). I'll probably pass, but I'm still thinking about it. It doesn't even say if there's a shear bolt.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #2  
I bought this and it works great on my MX6000. It subsoils down to 17”. Order the 9 shank, 7’ model for your MX. I’m very pleased with this implement. It’s far better than a single shank subsoiler and the MX lifts it plenty high.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...vator-Ripper-p/fc-field-cultivator-cain-9.htm

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground?
I bought this and it works great on my MX6000. It subsoils down to 17”. Order the 9 shank, 7’ model for your MX. I’m very pleased with this implement. It’s far better than a single shank subsoiler and the MX lifts it plenty high.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...vator-Ripper-p/fc-field-cultivator-cain-9.htm
Looks nice. Digs in on packed earth? The video mostly showed it in fully worked soil, the single pass over some existing grass wasn't compelling, but an actual user testimony can be :) Seemed decently made, and the ability to adjust/remove tines is nice.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #4  
One thing to keep in mind is that you probably have multiple top link holes on your tractor and there are 2 top link holes on the implement.. running the top link on the lowest hole of your tractor and the highest hole of the attachment will get you a whole bunch more vertical lift at the tip of that subsoiler. If you've got a hydraulic top link you could get it even higher. I suspect there is a way to make it work.

As far as the multi-tine spring loaded type.. If you're doing a large area that's almost certainly better even if it takes multiple passes, but if you ever intend to break roots or lift big rocks out of the ground i'd stick with the big subsoiler. Usually once you can get the curved tip lodged under something, a combination of working the 3pt up and driving forward will break small roots and be able to pop big rocks up. If you've got the patience you could potentially even use the subsoiler to remove tree stumps up to a point.

If I were to go for the Fred Cain model, I'm wondering if I should go 7-shank with my MX5400. Would save some money too.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #6  
Looks nice. Digs in on packed earth? The video mostly showed it in fully worked soil, the single pass over some existing grass wasn't compelling, but an actual user testimony can be :) Seemed decently made, and the ability to adjust/remove tines is nice.
It will tear up hard ground and the springs prevents damage if it hits an unmovable obstruction. But if the ground is hard it won’t sink down the full depth on the first pass. It will do the job however pulled by the MX. EA ships free for the first 1000 miles. I am outside that range, but they shipped to the nearest FedEx depot to me for $90. I also received it fairly quickly after ordering. EA doesn’t make them; it ships from the factory in Kentucky.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #7  
If I were to go for the Fred Cain model, I'm wondering if I should go 7-shank with my MX5400. Would save some money too.
Get one wider than you wheel width is my recommendation. My wheels are set at 6’ so I bought the 7’ model. It does come with cat 1 pins. I bought cat 2 pins at TSC and converted them, but bushings will work also. You could buy a narrower one but you will be packing down a bit of loosened ground if you do that. The MX has plenty of power to pull this.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #8  
One thing to keep in mind is that you probably have multiple top link holes on your tractor and there are 2 top link holes on the implement.. running the top link on the lowest hole of your tractor and the highest hole of the attachment will get you a whole bunch more vertical lift at the tip of that subsoiler. If you've got a hydraulic top link you could get it even higher. I suspect there is a way to make it work.

As far as the multi-tine spring loaded type.. If you're doing a large area that's almost certainly better even if it takes multiple passes, but if you ever intend to break roots or lift big rocks out of the ground i'd stick with the big subsoiler. Usually once you can get the curved tip lodged under something, a combination of working the 3pt up and driving forward will break small roots and be able to pop big rocks up. If you've got the patience you could potentially even use the subsoiler to remove tree stumps up to a point.
I agree that the large single shank ripper would be better for tearing out stumps and boulders. But it would be slow and laborious to work a garden with that. At 17” depth the cultivator is perfect for breaking tiller hard pans and it will remove roots and rocks up to a pretty good size. And if bought wide enough to cover wheels it does a nice job of field plowing without the wheels packing down where you’ve already passed.

/ Titan Subsoiler height: can my 3PH keep it above ground? #9  
WOW.... That is some ripper tooth....

In our ground..... I pull a Heavy Hitch type sub soil shank full depth.. The shank being like a box blade ripper shank... I use it to make places for snow melt and run off more available to our berry bushes and fruit orchard....

I plan to build a homemade shank about the same size with a mole plow style foot on it to make better pathways in the ground for water than the sub soil shank leaves..

I got the Fred Cain 9 shank field cultivator and it was just right. Pulled up rocks without choking or breaking, dug in at least a good foot, left some half decent furrows (not that I'm qualified to judge), dug up all those infernal concord grape roots, though I'm wondering now many of the chopped up pieces will try to grow again, hopefully a little baking in the sun will deter that and I'm carting away what I can. Anyway, it was just what the doctor ordered for my situation (previously worked New England soil, but not for some decades).