Title for a tractor ??

/ Title for a tractor ?? #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
Had a out of state buyer ask me if I had the title for a tractor I posted for sale for a friend of mine. Alabama doesnt have such. Any of yalls state have titles on tractors?

/ Title for a tractor ?? #2  
None in New York state;hard to believe they ding you on everything else.

/ Title for a tractor ?? #3  
No states provide tractor titles because the Feds do not data base tractor serial numbers. There is no VIN protocol for tractors.

You have to make do with your Bill of Sale and, if tractor was financed, release document from financier when last payment is processed.

/ Title for a tractor ??
No states provide tractor titles because the Feds do not data base tractor serial numbers. There is no VIN protocol for tractors.

You have to make do with your Bill of Sale and, if tractor was financed, release document from financier when last payment is processed.

Yeah, its a 62 model so I think its paid for :) Id never heard of such for a tractor down here , but I know some other states have some weird stuff so wasnt sure.

/ Title for a tractor ?? #5  
Is this a craigslist sale?
Beware, scam buyers may just be using the standard "I'll buy it. You got the title? I'll pick it up soon" bogus Craigslist reply that they use for cars and trucks and are too lazy or too stupid to change it for a tractor.

/ Title for a tractor ?? #6  
Yeah, like nybirdman, it's hard to believe, but Illinois doesn't do tractor titles either. I would think they'd do anything they could to get some manner of income beyond sales tax, as it seems they do with everything else.

Looks like Jeff may have the answer.

/ Title for a tractor ?? #7  
I guess a title could be helpful for proof of ownership but that would be about it. Some of the safeguards of titling won't be there because there's no required registration or really anybody who would check for a title other than a prospective buyer. The main reason autos, trailer, boats, and outboard motors are titled and registered is that they are used on public roads or waterways, so you're basically paying a fee to use those items on public property. You don't need a title for a vehicle on private land, or for a boat in a private pond. I could maybe see states trying to require tractor titles and registration if they are driven on public roads but that better not happen until after it's required for bicycles.

/ Title for a tractor ??
Is this a craigslist sale?
Beware, scam buyers may just be using the standard "I'll buy it. You got the title? I'll pick it up soon" bogus Craigslist reply that they use for cars and trucks and are too lazy or too stupid to change it for a tractor.

it is a CL but its not a typical spammy reply... this guy asked normal questions, gas or diesel, steering type and for pics. I assumed it just might be a first time tractor buyer and not familiar with them, but then i thought some of the northern states do have crazy rules and stuff on things like tags on ATV's etc so I figured id ask.

/ Title for a tractor ?? #10  
No title in AZ or ND either.