TN75 PTO problem

/ TN75 PTO problem #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
I am using my TN75 with a woodchipper, after running for an hour or so the PTO will not shut off. If I disengage the lever the cable stays engaged, I removed the cable and lubricated it and it slides freely. If I shut the tractor down and disengage the lever and then start it up again, the cable moves to the engaged position on it's own. If I let it cool down fr 1/2 hour everything works as it should. Dealer has no ideas.

/ TN75 PTO problem #2  
Find out if the clutch cross shaft is seized in the clutch housing (bottom end of that cable). If the clutch shaft is not returning, pull it back manually. If it is not returning and if you can make it return, does the clutch disengage then? if any of these add up to No it won't, I can't make it, or when it does, the PTO still drives, split the tractor and replace the failed parts.

/ TN75 PTO problem
what if I can manually make it return and the PTO stops?

/ TN75 PTO problem #4  
Lube the two points where the cross shaft goes through the clutch housing. Rotate the shaft as much as you can to free it up so the clutch disengages and returns freely. Use your favorite high quality penetrating oil.

/ TN75 PTO problem #5  
If the cable and shaft are physically moving freely the issue is in the clutch, the tractor will need to be split to repair.
I believe the pto is the foward disc if so its possible be the pilot bearing is seizing driving the pto while disengaged, otherwise the shaft splines could be rusty.
With this style of pto clutch they are not designed to be left disengaged for extended periods perhaps 5mins Max, otherwise bearings will fail.

/ TN75 PTO problem
My problem only occurs when using the wood chipper for extended periods of time, an hour or more at 540 pto rpm. If I go out right now when the tractor is cool and it will work fine, engage and disengage as it should. Could you explain more about this PTO clutch and not being meant to be disengaged for extended periods of time?? My tractor has a lever to engage and disengage, there is not clutch as such.

/ TN75 PTO problem #7  
My problem only occurs when using the wood chipper for extended periods of time, an hour or more at 540 pto rpm. If I go out right now when the tractor is cool and it will work fine, engage and disengage as it should. Could you explain more about this PTO clutch and not being meant to be disengaged for extended periods of time?? My tractor has a lever to engage and disengage, there is not clutch as such.

Winmac's Landini and your TN have similar clutches but not identical. His post is valid for him, not for you.

/ TN75 PTO problem #8  
The lever operates a clutch.

/ TN75 PTO problem #9  
The lever operates a clutch.

Trust me, your set up differs. Your release bearing disengages the clutch,then you shift the PTO selector, then re- engage the clutch. The TN PTO clutch disc is engaged by the fork and bearing applying pressure to the clutch fingers (and disc). Sounds backwards, and in fact is backwards. Usually works for 2500 hours or so before the bearing shells out and eats the fingers.

/ TN75 PTO problem #10  
So it's more like a over center clutch in operation, dose it lock in or rely completely on force on the fingers to drive the disc? Seems like a terrible design, is there a preferred position to be left in continually?

Thanks for explaining how it operates Hope I didn't derail the thread to much.