Buying Advice To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe...

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #41  
One of my friends was given a Kubota 41 and had no idea what it could do... it belonged to a family friend that was a very successful Electrical Contractor and was killed in a car crash...

The widow said he would have wanted you to have it.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #42  
aahhhhggg!!aahhhggg!aahhhggg.!!! just as tim allen on tool time did! backhoes are a must. backhoes are beautiful!! i use my little kubota bh all the time. get the thumb with it. hydraulic if you can. you will never say again you wish you didn't have that *%*% thing for the tractor.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #43  
Have the BH on my little BX and been thinking hard about a BH for the MX or possibly a Mini Ex. I use the little hoe all the time and would like more reach and power for several jobs. I will also keep the BX as it fits in a LOT of places a bigger machine would be too tight. I am always finding uses for the BH. Can tell you one thing, it SURE beats a shovel!!!

Last edited:
   / To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #44  
Hoe Hoe Hoe... all year long. Best xmas present you can give yourself! Yeah I know, I already replied here but seems to me if you can swing it financially it's a no brainer. Using it for a couple years now off and on, I have totally transformed my landscape around the house.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #45  
An excavator is for sure the top digger of choice, but for folks like me who don't want a second (or third) piece of equipment setting around, a TLB is the next best choice, although everytime I am digging out a ditch or pond, I wish I could rotate the hoe 180 degrees rather than just 90 degrees. Being able to put the spoils pile further back from the dig site would be grand. I just don't do enough digging to justify an excavator and in order to move that pile of dirt without having a dump truck, you need a FEL type of equipment also, so then comes in the tractor with FEL or a dedicated front end loader which is then even more money. The majority of us TLB guys don't want or need all the other equipment that is needed when using the excavator.

Gary, I was trying to only present another option. I really thought had taken clear position on all points. At the risk off offending anyone always doing what the majority does for the reason the majority does anything does not make it right for the INDIVIDUAL. In my case excavator was the best option. Not sure why tractor with FEL only brings up MORE money case? Thought the issue on tractor with fel was a given for him. Will agree no matter what you are digging with you need a method to transport unless you are filling the hole back with it such as in installing pipe or drain tile. Will say a tractor with FEL is NOT the only method to transport say dirt but a hyd dump trailer (also buyable used) can be a great option. Then if you need to haul in say mulch or rock have a great method for that. Again what is important is to know your options before you spend the money. Gary as pointed out to me you pointed out great reason for the excavator but again neither option or buying or renting is always right. For some they will be best served with all those options in their life time. Have a Blessed Good Friday and Easter.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #46  
Gary, I was trying to only present another option. I really thought had taken clear position on all points. At the risk off offending anyone always doing what the majority does for the reason the majority does anything does not make it right for the INDIVIDUAL. In my case excavator was the best option. Not sure why tractor with FEL only brings up MORE money case? Thought the issue on tractor with fel was a given for him. Will agree no matter what you are digging with you need a method to transport unless you are filling the hole back with it such as in installing pipe or drain tile. Will say a tractor with FEL is NOT the only method to transport say dirt but a hyd dump trailer (also buyable used) can be a great option. Then if you need to haul in say mulch or rock have a great method for that. Again what is important is to know your options before you spend the money. Gary as pointed out to me you pointed out great reason for the excavator but again neither option or buying or renting is always right. For some they will be best served with all those options in their life time. Have a Blessed Good Friday and Easter.
I meant it as no offence and your reasons for owning what you own make sense for you and many others who do a lot of dirt work. It is just that an excavator, while being the best at digging, is similar to a zero turn lawnmower in that they specialize in one activity that they do better than any other machine, but that is all they can do.
If I had a s--t load of digging to do, I would likely rent an excavator even though I own a TLB.
As for buying a hydraulic dump trailer (new or used), I think I would prefer an old dump truck (my personal opinion only). They can be bought used for about the same price or less than a new dump trailer and are perfect for on the farm use (some might even be road worthy) but can expect to have some oil seal leaks. At least they will be self powered so no additional tractor needed.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #47  
One comment I have been wanting to make is this: The only folks who will advocate not buying a backhoe are those who don't own one. Anyone who has ever owned a backhoe is going to tell you how handy they are and how we would not be without one.
I was of similar opinion about a tractor with FEL, having never had one on the farm and we always got by without one, I just didn't know all the advantages there were to having one. NOW, I wouldn't be without a FEL or my backhoe.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #48  
+1 Gary,

Growing up on the farm we had JD tractor for all the farm work no FEL, so forked lots of manure by hand, then got a trip bucket style FEL for the old JD - that was a big deal not to have to fork by hand, then a new JD with a real FEL with Hydraulic bucket - each one was a big improvement.

So my first tractor had an FEL, the second Kubota a 3PT BH then the B21 TLB - each one a bit better but wouldn't be without one now.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #49  
+1 Gary,

Growing up on the farm we had JD tractor for all the farm work no FEL, so forked lots of manure by hand, then got a trip bucket style FEL for the old JD - that was a big deal not to have to fork by hand, then a new JD with a real FEL with Hydraulic bucket - each one was a big improvement.

So my first tractor had an FEL, the second Kubota a 3PT BH then the B21 TLB - each one a bit better but wouldn't be without one now.

For sure, there are ways of getting things done without a tractor even, like the National Geographic shows with oxen pulling a wooden plow, but every improvement means better productivity with less physical labor. It always amazes me that we (human beings) went 10,000 years with animal power and very little improvements till the late 19ths century / early 20th century when we started making major improvement and came up with internal combustion engine and within 60 or so years went from plowing with animals to putting a man on the moon. The 20th Century was just amazing and I am glad that I lived the last half of it. I sure hope the 21st Century shows us as much, but so far not much has happened in this century to impress me. I don't see the X generation or their offspring doing a whole lot so far.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #50  
As for buying a hydraulic dump trailer (new or used), I think I would prefer an old dump truck (my personal opinion only). They can be bought used for about the same price or less than a new dump trailer and are perfect for on the farm use (some might even be road worthy) but can expect to have some oil seal leaks. At least they will be self powered so no additional tractor needed.

Was in the similar situation and paid more for a 7,000 dump than I could have bought a super 12 year old International Dump with Alcoa rims, new Michelin Tires... a one owner baby.

Emission testing on smaller dumps and being forced to re-power larger ones eliminates that segment for most... even back to 1976 must meet emissions... and the newer larger must be re-powered.

The dump trailer tags for 5 years runs about $18 on my last renewal.