Rotary Cutter To buy a rotary mower ( bush hog) or not?

/ To buy a rotary mower ( bush hog) or not? #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
I am going to have 4 acres of pasture to mow. I have a 60 inch deck for the B7800, and I guess I could use this to mow the pasture (I used my G1900 to mow it last year once the gras got going). This would save money.

I could also get a 5 foot rotary mower, and leave the deck in the barn. This would allow me t quickley transition to jobs that might be hard with the deck attached.

What do you all think?

/ To buy a rotary mower ( bush hog) or not? #2  
It depends on what your 4 acres are like. If it's nice and smooth and no saplings, stumps, or roots, then a finish mower could do the job.

However, if it is rough, you are likely to damage a finish mower. Brush mowers (e.g. "Bush Hogs") are made to run into things and keep going.

Ken

/ To buy a rotary mower ( bush hog) or not? #3  
4 acres isn't allot of mowing. Spending money on another type of mower, the same size as the one you already have, that will give you a rougher cut, doesn't make any sense to me. Since you can mow it with your deck, then it's not so rough that you need a rotary cutter. The advantage to the rotary cutter is that it can handle taller, thicker and out of control fields.

Saying that, if you let your 4 acres get out of control, or only plan to mow it twice a year, then a rotary cutter makes more sense. If you plan on mowing once a month, then the finish mower should be all that you need.

Eddie