To CAB or NOT

/ To CAB or NOT #131  
The cab guys will just NEVER understand that there are a LOT of guys who do NOT like cab tractors. I couldn't in any way ever own a cab tractor the way I use my tractor. It would be a total PITA to have a cabbed tractor for me. I have operated many cab tractors over the year and don't like them. I could have purchased one and chose not to, with ZERO regrets...
This is absolutely incorrect.

It has nothing at all to do with "cab guys not understanding open station guys".

You don't want a cab? Got it. We all GET THAT. No one is trying to change your mind. Ok? Take a breath or something and party on, tractor dude.

Some of us live in weather areas that can kill you if you're out in it for very long. Many old guys have missing fingers and toes up here from frostbite from sitting on farm equipment with no cabs and heat for hours at a time. Fingers and toes (especially toes) are the first body parts to be at risk. Sometimes you don't even know you're in trouble until you get back in the house and pull your boots off. Man invented "heat" and "indoors" for a reason. It's not complicated.

My lawn mower is open station. But guess what? It's put away all winter long for rather obvious reasons.

/ To CAB or NOT #132  

It has nothing at all to do with "cab guys not understanding open station guys".

You don't want a cab? Got it. We all GET THAT. No one is trying to change your mind. Ok? Take a breath or something and party on, tractor dude.

Some of us live in weather areas that can kill you if you're out in it for very long. Many old guys have missing fingers and toes up here from frostbite from sitting on farm equipment with no cabs and heat for hours at a time. Fingers and toes (especially toes) are the first body parts to be at risk. Sometimes you don't even know you're in trouble until you get back in the house and pull your boots off. Man invented "heat" and "indoors" for a reason. It's not complicated.

My lawn mower is open station. But guess what? It's put away all winter long for rather obvious reasons.

From Post #4
I know a few people that claim to like an open station more than a cab but I don’t even think they believe it when they say it. I’ll take a cab any day, even in the woods you just have to be careful.

/ To CAB or NOT #133  

You, like many others, are missing THE POINT. Cab guys are constantly either saying we couldn't afford a cab, or that we just don't know what we are missing. Couldn't be further from the truth. Many of us chose a OS tractor because that is what we wanted. I have never once said there isn't a place or a need for a cabbed tractor. Just that I wouldn't have one for "my" needs.....

/ To CAB or NOT #134  
You, like many others, are missing THE POINT. Cab guys are constantly either saying we couldn't afford a cab, or that we just don't know what we are missing. Couldn't be further from the truth. Many of us chose a OS tractor because that is what we wanted. I have never once said there isn't a place or a need for a cabbed tractor. Just that I wouldn't have one for "my" needs.....
No, I am not missing THE POINT. Sigh. I'm totally agreeing with your opinion that you are better served with an open station.

I have no idea why you are so worked up over this. ONE GUY, (not me), in post #4, said some guys that he personally knows said .... whatever.

That's not "all of us cab guys", or even "many" of us.

One open station guy said all cab guys are actually too afraid to be outdoors, and that's why they buy cabs.

It was also a stupid comment, but you don't see "us cab guys" getting our panties all wadded up over it.

I have no idea why this subject always devolves into a urination contest, yet it always seems to.

/ To CAB or NOT
UPDATE: Thanks for all the responses. I have finally signed paperwork for a new tractor. It will probably be delivered this Friday or early next week. I am going to leave everyone guessing what I went with until I get it to the house with pictures. 😁 Keep everyone in suspense. LOL

/ To CAB or NOT #136  
Hello again,

As I get closer to purchasing a new tractor, I am still struggling with getting a Cab. I have always been in an open station and feel a little enclosed when testing tractors with a Cab. I am 46 and not getting any younger (starting to feel it more). I want this next tractor purchase to hopefully be my last and payed off by the time I am 50. I dont think prices are ever going back down and if I put it off for another 5 years, and finally decide I need the Cab, it will probably be 70K + for one. I do a lot of burning in the cold rain and snow and bush-hogging, tilling and grading in the summer with lots of dust. I am starting to get tired of eating dust and being dirty/wet from head to toe. Probably answering my own question here while typing this. LOL

Anyway, how many of you on here have gone through a simliar situation/buying experience at this stage of life? Did you choose a Cab or did you stay open-station? This is going to be a big purchase and I dont want to do it again. I know I could get a canopy but that will just keep some rain off of me.

I have mostly pines that are around 20 feet tall now. Currently 4 acres open and 12 wooded but I am still clearing with the excavator and burning lots of brush piles. Will probably end up with 8 open and 8 wooded. I guess the biggest concern I have and hear from folks is hitting tree limbs and such while in the Cab. I feel like I am pretty observant and careful with operating but mistakes happen.

Any opinions/experience/similiar situations welcome.

Thanks
I completely understand the struggle with the decision. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a Cab in my MILs tractor in the winter, but in the summer I like an open station even in the heat. I don't mind the heat at all.

However, there is nothing better than plowing snow in a heated cab. Not that we have had too much lately but when you do and especially with the wind howling as your trying to get people out of their drive it is special to be in a cab.

I would go Cab and if the $$ allow it keep your open station. They probably won't give you much in trade anyways... Or buy the cab tractor with the plan to sell the other tractor and put the price at a "don't want to sell it that bad" price. See what happens... I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of two tractors for my uses and maybe you couldn't either.

Edit: I see I was too late but I'm voting you went Cab because you have the $$ to get a Cab unlike us broke open station guys ;) Oh, man stirring the pot!

Last edited:
   / To CAB or NOT #137  
No, I am not missing THE POINT. Sigh. I'm totally agreeing with your opinion that you are better served with an open station.

I have no idea why you are so worked up over this. ONE GUY, (not me), in post #4, said some guys that he personally knows said .... whatever.

That's not "all of us cab guys", or even "many" of us.

One open station guy said all cab guys are actually too afraid to be outdoors, and that's why they buy cabs.

It was also a stupid comment, but you don't see "us cab guys" getting our panties all wadded up over it.

I have no idea why this subject always devolves into a urination contest, yet it always seems to.

I'm not worked up over anything, nor did I think this was turning into a *issing match. I simply offered my thoughts, the same as everyone else. Maybe you're taking this a bit too personally.... But since this conversation now feels like it's went South, I'm out and have nothing more to comment on...

/ To CAB or NOT #139  
It seems that the happiest guys have (or have access to) both. 👍
Some have very singular uses like mowing and snow removal. Then others have countless tasks like jockeying trailers and stuff around the property where you might be on and off constantly hooking chains or hand shoveling in/out of the bucket or thrashing through the woods gathering and dragging out firewood, not the best situation for glass and mirrors.
Advice is as silly as suggesting your only choice of how to dress for the day to someone not knowing what they'll get into that day.😉

/ To CAB or NOT #140  
UPDATE: Thanks for all the responses. I have finally signed paperwork for a new tractor. It will probably be delivered this Friday or early next week. I am going to leave everyone guessing what I went with until I get it to the house with pictures. 😁 Keep everyone in suspense. LOL
Awesome. Either cab or no cab having a tractor will be an advantage.