To Chicken or not to Chicken?

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #31  
Around here no one will pay more than $3/doz. Friends raised chickens for eggs a few years ago and we would buy them to help them out; but would throw half of them away. We were paying them $2/doz when eggs at the store were $.80. Our friends were poor so we "sucked it up" to help them.

Thankfully they stopped trying to make money from eggs after two years.

Just yesterday, my fiancé, brought home a dozen eggs she got at bible study from a lady who raises chickens and cannot sell what she produces. I think they were free but I did not ask. We have got them before and we will wind up throwing them out too.

I do not know many people who go through a dozen eggs a week willingly. Friends and family who buy your eggs for $5/doz are more than likely doing you a favor and hope you stop selling eggs...LOL. Not too hard to throw out cheap eggs but throwing our $5 bills gets old quick and having to eat eggs to use them up gets old too.

Reminds me of the stuff folks with gardens give out because they cannot use it all. Most of it gets wasted. People are too kind to say, "Please stop giving me all this stuff".
You need to meet more people. 😉 I eat more than a dozen eggs a week by myself. Two every morning.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #32  
If I have an abundance of garden vegetables, I just take them to work and put them on the lunchroom table. They will be gone in no time. I'm sure if I had eggs they would disappear as well.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #33  
Around here no one will pay more than $3/doz. Friends raised chickens for eggs a few years ago and we would buy them to help them out; but would throw half of them away. We were paying them $2/doz when eggs at the store were $.80. Our friends were poor so we "sucked it up" to help them.

Thankfully they stopped trying to make money from eggs after two years.

Just yesterday, my fiancé, brought home a dozen eggs she got at bible study from a lady who raises chickens and cannot sell what she produces. I think they were free but I did not ask. We have got them before and we will wind up throwing them out too.

I do not know many people who go through a dozen eggs a week willingly. Friends and family who buy your eggs for $5/doz are more than likely doing you a favor and hope you stop selling eggs...LOL. Not too hard to throw out cheap eggs but throwing our $5 bills gets old quick and having to eat eggs to use them up gets old too.

Reminds me of the stuff folks with gardens give out because they cannot use it all. Most of it gets wasted. People are too kind to say, "Please stop giving me all this stuff".
I would guess you have never gone hungry. Since the garden will "set" in a relatively short amount of time. Often my parents shared extra garden goods with friends. Just as often the extra was set out by the road for anyone to take. Often it was the same families that needed the food as illustrated by the poor clothes and run down cars, in their repeated returns. Also their were some elderly neighbors that were to proud or ashamed to ask for help that needed the food.

As far as helping out the people by buying their eggs. I can not find any fault in giving someone money for a product. Maybe you could buy the eggs and pass them on to one of the food banks. A win win for some people down on their luck. I would rather give money to someone that is trying to earn some money as opposed to sitting on their ass with their hand out.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #34  
This reminds me of what a friend used to say - "It's zucchini season - lock your doors and your car doors or every few days someone will drop off a bag full."

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #35  
This reminds me of what a friend used to say - "It's zucchini season - lock your doors and your car doors or every few days someone will drop off a bag full."
:LOL::ROFLMAO: Truth

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #36  
a product. Maybe you could buy the eggs and pass them on to one of the food banks.
I'm not sure that they will accept eggs, as there is no way of telling how old they are. I know that my local food pantry doesn't want them. OTOH I never have any problem giving extras away. I can tell by some of the comments here that some people have never been around somebody who is truly poor, whether by bad choices or bad luck.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #37  
In the last five years we have gotten sick three times eating “farm fresh eggs”. We started putting them in a bowl of water and throwing out the floaters. If we had floaters, we ended up throwing out the whole dozen...not worth the risk.

We have never gotten sick eating store bought eggs even if they were past their ‘best by’ date.

We prefer store bought eggs. As a result, we use less TP.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #38  
In the last five years we have gotten sick three times eating “farm fresh eggs”. We started putting them in a bowl of water and throwing out the floaters. If we had floaters, we ended up throwing out the whole dozen...not worth the risk.

We have never gotten sick eating store bought eggs even if they were past their ‘best by’ date.

To each their own, I guess. One reason for growing my own food in general is so that I know what I'm eating. Crack one of my eggs and a store bought egg into a dish together and you can see the difference.
I write the date on each egg as I gather it. What I call "old" is still fresher than when they hit the shelves at the grocery store. It takes about two weeks for the shell to separate from the egg enough so they will peel easily after hardboiling.
I've never gotten sick on eggs, although I did get a bad case of food poisoning from restaurant chicken once.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #39  

I only get "floaters" if some eggs get too old (stock not getting rotated).

Never gotten sick from them, and rarely clean them before using (I keep the hen house nice and the eggs are rarely messy when laid). Not everything they're used for is fully cooked, either.

/ To Chicken or not to Chicken? #40  

I've only gotten sick (as in throwing up) once from eating eggs, and that was as a child. They do however "go thru me" quite quickly, so I'm sure not saving any TP. :sick:
I avoid them whenever I can.