To get draft control option or not?

/ To get draft control option or not? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
In some of the tractors I am looking at it is an option and not there by default.

I don't really plow but I do have a cultivator that I have used a few times in the past. I don't plan on ground engaging work but guess it might make sense to just get it now?

What do you guys think?

/ To get draft control option or not? #2  
Since you're looking at larger tractors and talking about more land in the future, it seems to make sense to include draft control for whatever the future may hold.

Even though the 255 has draft control, the cab and 4wd will make the new tractor nicer for any field work you may do.

There's my .02

/ To get draft control option or not? #3  
If it's available, I would get it. If you ever have the need for it, it is well worth it to have it. I actually think that only JD, Kubota and Massey have it as options on some of their models. The other guys either have it or don't. I may be wrong, but that seems like that is how it was back when I was looking for tractors.

Keep in mind that DC can be used when grading also, especially when making heavier cuts. You don't have to be plowing to make good use of it.

Just my opinion. ;)

/ To get draft control option or not? #4  
Will likely add it the 1635 in the future. Do miss having it.

/ To get draft control option or not? #5  
What size are you considering?

/ To get draft control option or not? #6  
Draft control is standard on the Kioti DK series. I have not had occasion to use it over the past four years however as I till rather than plow. I have no idea what Kubota and JD charge for DC but I'd put money into extra rear remotes and FEL aux hydraulics before DC unless you know you will plow a lot. Seems very few farmers even plow these days though.

/ To get draft control option or not? #8  
Not having the draft control makes the hitch a simpler system. If you plan on pulling a mounted plow, it is well worth having. Also consider what it will add or subtract from the tractor when you go to sell it some day.

Personally I would want it, but with what most people do with 3 points any more, it is not all that important.

/ To get draft control option or not? #9  
Likely a L4740

In that size, unless you are farming or looking to some added value on resale, I wouldn't spend the money. I haven't used draft control on any of our tractors since I quite farming years ago. We also had ongoing draft control issues with one of our tractors that never got fixed properly. If one of my tractors starts to bog down, I just use the 3PH control and reset.

I am sure others will disagree and have need for it, I just don't.

/ To get draft control option or not? #10  
In that size, unless you are farming or looking to some added value on resale, I wouldn't spend the money. I haven't used draft control on any of our tractors since I quite farming years ago. We also had ongoing draft control issues with one of our tractors that never got fixed properly. If one of my tractors starts to bog down, I just use the 3PH control and reset.

I am sure others will disagree and have need for it, I just don't.

That would be my take as well. More buyers think draft control is something that it is not than those who actually get the benefits of draft control's intended use.