Backhoe To hoe or not to hoe

/ To hoe or not to hoe #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
Have a Woods BH 80X and that thing saved my butt again this a.m. Came out of the house and there was water bubbling out of the ground right where the water main goes to the house. 3 hours later water line repaired and I still have a working back. Without that BH I'd still be digging and wouldn't be able to move tomorrow.:thumbsup:

/ To hoe or not to hoe #4  
just compare you labor cost and that BH cost, only money issue.

Hey Jack, I disagree. There is also a saving of the body as well. As you age, you dont recover from hard labour as well as when you're young. Not to mention, it's just plain fun digging a hole with a backhoe! :laughing:

/ To hoe or not to hoe #5  
oh, yes, I forgot that. spend some money to avoid potential injury during hard labour work is a qiute a good deal.

So, hi, Mike, buy a backhoe, no hesitate.

:laughing:

/ To hoe or not to hoe #6  
I never thought mine would pay for itself and it more than covered itself (probably 2x) in the first 2 years. (Major electrical trenching project and a septic repair in the winter). Saving your back is just an added bonus!

/ To hoe or not to hoe #7  
I've had my Woods Back hoe for 12 years and used it on two different tractors. This past summer I replaced one of the cylinder hoses on the front dipstick. One thing I should mention is that you need to check the hose swivel joints, they will work loose and drip fluid. I have a 4 point frame mount on the back my tractor, and highly recommend frame mounting. A hoe can shake the daylights out of a tractor if you aren't careful. My hoe has saved me at least $20,000 over the past 10 years in french drains, basement drains, building flower gardens, moving large rocks, stump removal, road maintenance. The list is endless. Each fall I pull the pins clean all the pivot joints, re-grease everything and park it in the garage where its dry.

/ To hoe or not to hoe #8  
I've had a Woods 650 for about 18 years (That's an estimate, but should be close) and even with the expense of hoses and such it has MORE than paid for itself. I hired out with it for several years and when you add that to all the time/money/effort/aspirin I've saved myself around here, it's a no-brainer.

The last time I hired out with it was this Spring, when I used it to grub up some brush and reclaim an overgrown bit of lawn for a neighbor. Grossed $300 on the job, blew a $600 pump on the 'hoe. :thumbdown:

After nearly 20 years of use and abuse, I don't guess that's all that bad tho.

/ To hoe or not to hoe #9  
I have used the heck out of mine, had it about 18 months and put nearly 300 hours on it moving dirt, digging trenches for water lines and sprinkler system, digging up stumps and trees clearing fence lines etc. It is my go to tractor for most of my tasks due to maneuverability. In contrast, I have had my LS P7010 for over 3 years and got 100 hours on it.