TO30 Backfire

/ TO30 Backfire #1  

1952Ferguson

Tractor
Ferguson TO30
I think I have timed my tractor properly after changing out the distributor cap and plugs but it starts and runs and constantly backfires now. What did I do wrong?

/ TO30 Backfire #2  
You probably got the timing retarded too much. Or you put in incorrect plugs.
Did you try and time it again?

/ TO30 Backfire #3  
Hi,
Potentially not something you did. The aftermarket parts supplies are not all good quality and you may have installed parts that were worse than what was already in there. I replaced all the electricals on a Massey Ferguson 35 1962, only to find the spark arcs thru the lead boots and the distributor cap centre crumbled away at around 1 year.
Try putting back some of the old parts to isolate a possible bad new one.

/ TO30 Backfire #4  
I think I have timed my tractor properly after changing out the distributor cap and plugs but it starts and runs and constantly backfires now. What did I do wrong?
Do you have a timing light? Buy or borrow one and check the timing. Your timing is retarded, your distributor bushing maybe worn, or your advance mechanism is not working. A timing light makes timing it easy but I can walk you through a timing it statically (without a timing light) if you need me to.

/ TO30 Backfire #5  
Do you have a timing light? Buy or borrow one and check the timing. Your timing is retarded, your distributor bushing maybe worn, or your advance mechanism is not working. A timing light makes timing it easy but I can walk you through a timing it statically (without a timing light) if you need me to.
The timing light has the advantage of diagnosing erratic timing, which can arise with distributor bearing issues.

/ TO30 Backfire #6  
in addition to timing light, also check points with a dwell meter. readjust the carb, maybe even check the valve clearances good luck

/ TO30 Backfire #7  
Backfire and running backwards? If you didn' remove the distributor, you proably replaced the spark plug leads in the wrong order. Its easy to do, either on the plugs or in the distributor cap. If you loosened and pulled the distributor itself up and out of engagement with the cam gear you will have to retime the distributor to the engine. There will be marks for this, but you'll need the manual.
good luck,
rScotty

/ TO30 Backfire #8  
One of the causes of backfire is having a wire, or wires 180º out of rotation making it fire on the exhaust stroke, with the exhaust valve open.

/ TO30 Backfire
I bought a $32 set of good points and condenser. Not the Chinese junk online. Runs like sewing machine now. Only took me 5 months to fix something that simple

/ TO30 Backfire #10  
& welcome to forum, glad it's running smooth