TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,931  
Well nothing really about guns today.. how bout targets?? Termites destroyed one of my target stands and it was only 93* out so I thought I'd do some fixing/cleaning.
Forgot to take a pic of the damage sorry.. but basically they took out the right post and severely chewed up the boards on top so I ended up replacing everything except the left post which was still ok.

So here is the 100 yard target stand that I had to replace.. cleaned up the targets as well as long as I was out.

IMG_8121.JPG

This is my 300 yard stand which was fine but I cleaned up these targets too while I was out there.

IMG_8123.JPG

Now I need to find a couple "cooler" days so I can play a little.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,932  
Got a question for reloaders, not for me, more for a friend who wants to get started; If you wanted to primarily reload 223/40s&w AND 50 BMG; what press options would you have? I know Redding and maybe a couple others have a 50BMG length press, but the dies are a large (1-1/4"?) diameter; do these presses use a insert that can be removed, to use normal 7/8" dies; or the RCBS rock chucker style, when you remove the 7/8" thread insert, is the main thread set up for the larger dies?
I do not load .50cal but have some thoughts to share on the subject of reloading.

First, he needs to share how much he shoots per month and how much time he is willing to spend at the endeavor. If he is the typical "mag dumper" that seems more prevalent, he will want a progressive for the .223 and .40. I can produce about 300-350/hr on a Dillon 550, 500-600/hr on a Dillon 650/750 and 700-750/hr on a Dillon 1050. This is for pistol calibers. I shoot .223 but load it on a single stage press. On the Co-Ax press I use for rifle ammunition, I produce about 50 rounds/hr and weigh every charge....he can go a bit faster using a powder measure. I will be loading .223 on one of the progressives eventually when I can afford to "waste components". This brings me to the second point.

Does he know the cost and availability of components? SRP and SPP are in high demand and going for around $100/k and up. Powder is $40/lb and up. I sold much of my primer inventory last year as it made no sense to piss away primers for plinking fun. I have cheaper ways to plink and get trigger time.

Lastly, as to the time commitment. I hate reloading and casting but I used to shoot a lot (over 15k rounds a year) and shot competitively and did it to save money. I was driven by both productivity and quality. There is time needed to clean, inspect and sort brass. Rifle brass should be cleaned before sizing and after sizing to remove the lube. Nothing "fun" about that. Then time to do caliber change overs. With the .223 he will need to remove primer pocket crimps on military brass. More time...unless he buys commercial brass only. On the Co-Ax I can leave the dies set up and snap them into place. If he gets a press for the .50 that is unlikely to be the case.

Reloading makes a lot of sense. He needs to understand the realities.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,933  
Well nothing really about guns today.. how bout targets?? Termites destroyed one of my target stands and it was only 93* out so I thought I'd do some fixing/cleaning.
Forgot to take a pic of the damage sorry.. but basically they took out the right post and severely chewed up the boards on top so I ended up replacing everything except the left post which was still ok.

So here is the 100 yard target stand that I had to replace.. cleaned up the targets as well as long as I was out.

View attachment 756093

This is my 300 yard stand which was fine but I cleaned up these targets too while I was out there.

View attachment 756094

Now I need to find a couple "cooler" days so I can play a little.
300 yards is a long way to go to set bowling pins back up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,935  
I do usually walk, but my truck is there if need be. And I can get the 100 yarders on the way down.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,936  
Pulled a Colorado Mule Deer tag so I need to build some loads for the 300 WM to get out a bit farther than my usual 400 yards. I may take the 338 along as a spare too. I have it dialed in at 750 presently.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,937  
Pulled a Colorado Mule Deer tag so I need to build some loads for the 300 WM to get out a bit farther than my usual 400 yards. I may take the 338 along as a spare too. I have it dialed in at 750 presently.
Why "dial" in a 338 (assume win mag) at 750? Assuming deer vitals are 10" circular ish and you aimed dead center you would miss without a correction from 40 yards to 740 yards, then miss again at about 755.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,938  
338 Lapua, not 338 WM. Depends on pill weight, MV and wind and elevation of course. Typically load 250 Bergers at the correct jump.