TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,692  
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,695  
3-170 days on silencershop. I’ve heard one day from another vendor.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,696  
The words "Train as you Fight, Fight as you Train" were words to live by for us. Perfect practice makes perfect. If we were not deployed, we were training. Either in a live fire shoot house, on a flat range, or like in the picture below, in a two way range using SIMUNITIONS or UTM. We had many buildings to use, with all sorts of floor plans. We would set up scenarios, and train realistically, against aggressive adversaries that not only shoot back, but know tactics as well as we did!

Fun times!

Reading the floor plan on the fly, became as natural as breathing. When dominating a structure, it's rare to know the layout before you breach. Simple things like being able to know if a door is an IN swinging door or an OUT swinging door, moving into a room from a corner fed or center fed entry point and TRUSTING your Team Mates takes thousands of repetitions and countless hours just doing it.

Here, I'm locked down on a deep corner, flowing into a room from a corner fed entry point. I'm holding position, waiting for my number two so we can advance. Spending all day soaking up 5.56 SIM rounds is no picnic, but it was one of the best ways to test and evaluate tactics.

I am forever grateful for the years I spent honing these skills. I sure do miss it.

The rifle I'm holding here, was one of our SBR's converted to shoot SIMUNITIONS. Basically, you just swap out the bolt carrier and then mark the weapon with the blue tape. Safety was paramount. No live ammo was permitted anywhere near us when we were in the SIM Houses. The pistol on my leg was a Glock 17T (or Blue Gun). It was specially designed to use with SIMUNITION rounds.

Deep Corner.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,697  
My wife loves to shoot / hunt as much as I do. I've spent a long time teaching her the art of precision shooting. Here, we are working on ranging with the reticle at unknown distance. She knows the measurement of the targets down range, uses the subtended reticle marks to calculate the distance to the target, makes a wind call and holds using the reticle for a hit.

She's very good at it, and even better with her bow than I am.

JR prone 2.JPG

JR prone.JPG

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,698  
Bought a Remington 870 Tactical today.
Remington 1100 was my old clays and gamebird favorite. The 870 Tactical is a much lighter more rugged looking tool.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,699  
When it comes to scatter guns I prefer a good ole double barrel even though I have several pumps as well.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,700  
Here, we are working on ranging with the reticle at unknown distance. She knows the measurement of the targets down range, uses the subtended reticle marks to calculate the distance to the target, makes a wind call and holds using the reticle for a hit.
It's a fun game, but with today's cheap and accurate range finders it's of little practical use. Knowing the height of the target isn't practical, and range errors can be significant. That said, it's still a good skill to have in the back pocket and kind of neat to put an old math formula to some use. In math class we always used s = r*theta that applied if r was much larger than s. Here s is the distance from either end of the arc that's subtended by the angle theta in radians, and r is the radius of the arc. It's actually a special case of the formula for the circumference of a circle, i.e. C = 2*PI*R or PI*D.

But this all reduces very simply to the fact that the height of the target (m or yards) divided by the subtended angle of the target (radians) = range (m or yards) Such an easy formula to remember and use. For example, a 6ft individual who is measured to subtend 3.5 milrad is 2/.0035 yards away or 571 yards.

I remember when Leupold in their infinite stupidity introduced mil reticles but the scopes still had MOA adjustments. Which product manager thought that was a good idea? I was able to get an M4 3.5-10x FFP converted to M5 adjustments about 10 years ago but still have a couple of Mark 4s with mix and match, but moved to mil/mil about 20 years ago.

Last edited: