TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #691  
A36 steel and almost any kind of rifle don't seem to play well together.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #692  
Those aren't A36 steel, as mentioned, but you're right about a longer barrel. And it doesn't necessarily have to be rifle ammo. Pistol ammo in a longer barrel picks up significant speed and thus hitting force. Going out today to pickup a 9mm carbine if it's still in stock. ;)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #693  
I was surprised. I didn't think the energy gain from ~200fps would have me go from "no dent" to "pretty mangled", but hey, I was wrong, and I'll be wrong again, probably before the day is out. I really want Taylor's Gong which I should be able to use with most of my stuff, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on the $100 price tag.

The Yellowboy was just about right on at 50 yds out of the box. I found I had to hold about 2 inches left to hit the steel, and I think I'll just remember that rather than mess with the sights which don't look easily adjustable. The splashes down on the stand were from a 45ACP carbine I was trying to sight without using paper targets. That didn't work out too great without having a spotter with me.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #694  
I have 3 18-19 year old college girls visiting and none had ever done any shooting. I gathered up an assortment of guns from semi-auto pistols from .22 to .357 Sig then revolvers in .22, .357 and .45 LC. and lastly I picked up a couple of rifles to shoot. I gathered my Hi-Point 995 and as a final gesture my SKS 7.62x39. They loved shooting the cowboy action guns and hit quite well with them. I let them take a couple shot with .357 Magnum and with my Glock 33 in .357 Sig which had the most kick but they all hit the bulls eye from about 20 yards away.

Last we shot the SKS onto the 3/8" steel target. It did about what I was expecting, we could barely see the target move but upon close viewing we found several neat round holes about 3/8" in diameter and no denting of the plate from those FMJ 7.62x39 bullets. Might have to take those targets to the shop for some hole weld up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #695  
Awesome, Gary. Always good to give someone a positive first experience.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #696  
Seems like the rifle-ready steel targets are A500 and 1/2" thick.

I have a 4-flipper RF target with a 5th 'lollipop' on top to reset them. I asked my neighbor not to use it for the .44 Mag (10 yd at most). He was back the next day and we didn't say much. ("Hi. Have fun.")

That was 5 yrs ago, and I'm still tweaking the gadget's frame to get it to work normally. :laughing:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #698  
I have 3 18-19 year old college girls visiting and none had ever done any shooting. I gathered up an assortment of guns from semi-auto pistols from .22 to .357 Sig then revolvers in .22, .357 and .45 LC. and lastly I picked up a couple of rifles to shoot. I gathered my Hi-Point 995 and as a final gesture my SKS 7.62x39. They loved shooting the cowboy action guns and hit quite well with them. I let them take a couple shot with .357 Magnum and with my Glock 33 in .357 Sig which had the most kick but they all hit the bulls eye from about 20 yards away.

Last we shot the SKS onto the 3/8" steel target. It did about what I was expecting, we could barely see the target move but upon close viewing we found several neat round holes about 3/8" in diameter and no denting of the plate from those FMJ 7.62x39 bullets. Might have to take those targets to the shop for some hole weld up.

Boy does this bring back a memory. Years ago when my daughter was in college herself, she brought over two friends who also never shot a gun. They each attempted a turn firing this little but nice Ruger 22/45. When the third girl stepped up to fire the gun, she extended her arms with a double grip as taught and just stood there. She was frozen. When she was being egged on by the others to finally shoot the gun, I watched as she fired, her legs buckled, and she fainted dead away.
She seemed enthusiastic to fire a gun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #699  

Be willing to bet you had some bi metal bullets. 3/8" plate won't hold up to to bi metal, have to go to 1/2".

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #700  
Boy does this bring back a memory. Years ago when my daughter was in college herself, she brought over two friends who also never shot a gun. They each attempted a turn firing this little but nice Ruger 22/45. When the third girl stepped up to fire the gun, she extended her arms with a double grip as taught and just stood there. She was frozen. When she was being egged on by the others to finally shoot the gun, I watched as she fired, her legs buckled, and she fainted dead away.
She seemed enthusiastic to fire a gun.

Having run hundreds of females through a live fire course through the years, it always amazed me at the different reactions and skill levels that each participant would exhibit. I was amazed on both sides of the spectrum from absolute skill to absolute fail. I never had any that fainted. I had a few screamers, and some that wanted to tear the magnetically locked door down to get out after the first shot..