TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,071  
Friend of mine, probably 12 years ago, watched too many sniper movies, and decided he wanted a rifle that could shoot a 1000 yards. He financed a Tikka 308, and optic (yes, took out a bank signature loan). It was a nice rifle, the few times I shot it. Don't know what he ever did with it; as he came from a Very anti gun family, and he got frustrated pretty quickly when he realized that long range isn't an easy game to play.

As for what I'm looking for; I'm just always looking. I dont Need anything new; but have been wanting to add a threaded bolt action in 6.5 Grendel (or possibly 7.62x39) or a threaded lever in 357mag; but ive also come to the realization that I could load some 80% Creedmore loads with H4895; and have the light loads of Grendel, as well as full power. I reload currently for Creed and Grendel; and for back yard shooting on the 100 yard range, I prefer not having to worry about semi auto gas system ect.

Don't know if its universal to ARs, but with the muzzle 'accessory' it still needs ear pro; where my bolt action is comfortable bare ears. Ive also found that I just enjoy shooting on mute Way more then with the volume turned up.

Note: I'm 100% legal, I wouldnt be talking about it if I wasn't.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,072  
There might be a grain of wisdom in the above friend; no experience with fire arms; but his first purchase was a shorty 12 ga pump, that looked tactical, but my 28" out shoot it for anything practical; and his second purchase was a 308 Tikka, that he wanted for long range. He probably would have been better suited getting a 22lr or 223 and easing into the sport. I lost contact years ago, but I think he jumped into the deep end, and probably would have been better of learning to swim first.

Same guy almost shot me, walking down to check a target with what he thought was an empty shot gun, I was walking next to him on the right, and luckily gun was pointed down to the left, otherwise he would have blasted me in the side/legs...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,073  
... but ive also come to the realization that I could load some 80% Creedmore loads with H4895; and have the light loads of Grendel, as well as full power.
I like shooting my H4895 .30-06 loads much more than the H4350 loads. It makes my '03 Springfield a much more enjoyable rifle to shoot, for me anyway.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,074  
Filled one of our tags on opening morning with a nice fat 7 point buck. Once again, my 6.5 Grendel AR did a great job bringing it down. It went about 30 yds from where it was standing after the lungs were shredded. Still using Nosler 120gr BTs. We put 62 pounds of meat in the freezer....the only piece with bone in it was the neck roast. My wife does the skinning and butchering. I help with the wrapping and sausage.

The buck hanging from my tractor is my nephew's 8 pointer. His was a year or two heavier than mine. Don't know what his weighed going into the freezer.
Interesting. Here on the West Coast we only count the points on one side. A forked horn is a forked horn, not a 4-pointer.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,075  
Anyone see CZ is launching a new series of CZ600 rifles. Not 100% sure i like the look or the safety. Sounds like based on what I read, they are dropping their older series of center fire rifles.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,076  
Anyone see CZ is launching a new series of CZ600 rifles. Not 100% sure i like the look or the safety. Sounds like based on what I read, they are dropping there older series of center fire rifles.
It is an interesting rifle. I hear they are going "whole hog". The other bolt actions will no longer be available.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,077  
Two archery 8-pointers not for here, but WAS got a 6-point with his ... Axis .350 Legend. Deer dropped in it's tracks, there won't be a whole neck to roast. He's stoked on the accuracy with Win 150g tipped ammo and asked for more. I'm down to one bx of 150s & would rather send him some 180s. I have a lot more of 'em.

"Whadda we got so far ..?"

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,078  
Interesting. Here on the West Coast we only count the points on one side. A forked horn is a forked horn, not a 4-pointer.
But here in MN, they count both sides. When in MN, do as the MNs do. ;)

Just curious....so on the left coast, what would it be a 3 pointer or a 4 pointer or perhaps a 3.5 pointer? Are the atypicals only counted on one side?

Attachments

• mitch-vakoch-minnesota-buck-lead.jpg
    mitch-vakoch-minnesota-buck-lead.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 53
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME
#9,079  
But here in MN, they count both sides. When in MN, do as the MNs do. ;)

Just curious....so on the left coast, what would it be a 3 pointer or a 4 pointer or perhaps a 3.5 pointer? Are the atypicals only counted on one side?
Always wondered that myself. Do we round up or down? :unsure:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,080  
Some here say if you can hang a ring on it, but I don't know how much tilting is allowed. :sneaky: Some say 1" aand that can be squabbled over at camp. 😁 We have buck tags in MI that specify four or more points on one side. Otherwise we count them all.

btw, I know of '8-point' racks with 11 1/2" & 21 1/2" outside spreads. Neither have brow tines but tines are taller than my fingers. Both are symmetrical and made for nice head mounts. The narrow one is darker and smoother, from deer camp up North. The wide one was taken with a bow down our way in corn & bean country.