TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,021  
I've lost track of this thread, need to read up on the last 10 pages or so...

But a quick deer hunting story...

Took my 9 yo son out with me yesterday, to a blind in a field below our barn. Known area for deer to show up every evening. My boy has walked with me in the woods every chance he gets since he was 4, but he's talking about how bad he wants to get his first deer. Mind you, he's never actually shot anything more than a BB gun before... so this was a bit spur of the moment, quick backyard trial run of holding, aiming, and instructions with the trusty old Marlin 336 (30-30, lever action) unloaded, and head over the hill to sit. Sure enough, several doe show up, he gets in position, good rest, takes aim... says he's ready... pulls back the hammer, and squeezes off a shot of about 80 to 100 yards... deer goes down! He and I both haven't quit grinning since! I thought he would get set back by the 30-30 recoil, but he took it like a champ, lil guy is only about 65#! I'm real proud of him... as I do, he walks up to the animal and thanks it for giving it's life to sustain ours.

My first deer was with a Marlin 30-30, he will remember this for the rest of his life. Awesome experience for him, and memory for you.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,022  
I've lost track of this thread, need to read up on the last 10 pages or so...

But a quick deer hunting story...

Took my 9 yo son out with me yesterday, to a blind in a field below our barn. Known area for deer to show up every evening. My boy has walked with me in the woods every chance he gets since he was 4, but he's talking about how bad he wants to get his first deer. Mind you, he's never actually shot anything more than a BB gun before... so this was a bit spur of the moment, quick backyard trial run of holding, aiming, and instructions with the trusty old Marlin 336 (30-30, lever action) unloaded, and head over the hill to sit. Sure enough, several doe show up, he gets in position, good rest, takes aim... says he's ready... pulls back the hammer, and squeezes off a shot of about 80 to 100 yards... deer goes down! He and I both haven't quit grinning since! I thought he would get set back by the 30-30 recoil, but he took it like a champ, lil guy is only about 65#! I'm real proud of him... as I do, he walks up to the animal and thanks it for giving it's life to sustain ours.
Thats awesome. I have a 4 1/2 and a 1 1/2 year old boys. I can't wait. 4 1/2 went with me on a dove hunt, he had alot of fun. 1511398847571.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,023  
I'm real proud of him... as I do, he walks up to the animal and thanks it for giving it's life to sustain ours.

It's nice to know you're instilling that in him.

I believe as a society in general, we take our food sources for granted, particularly when we sit down at the dinner table.

That said, pass a Tyson truck carrying a bunch of chickens to the slaughterhouse, and I understand why people raise their own chickens now.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,025  
If you guys are still wanting the SBPDW Brace, its on sale at Optic Planet for $203, code 'Deal11' brings it down to $181.55 shipped..

SB Tactical SBPDW Pistol Stabilizing Brace for Mil-Spec ARs | Up To 2�% OFF 4.8 Star Rating Best Rated w/ Free S&H

That's a good price if they will actually ship. As someone else mentioned, the prices on those braces are stupidly high.

That said, this goes without saying, if you buy the brace by itself, it must go on either a registered pistol (lower reciever) or registered SBR.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,026  
That's a good price if they will actually ship. As someone else mentioned, the prices on those braces are stupidly high.

That said, this goes without saying, if you buy the brace by itself, it must go on either a registered pistol (lower reciever) or registered SBR.

That was me that hated the price.. And you can also use on a stripped lower (Other Firearm on the paperwork, I think).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,027  
OT, if I may, but I just noticed in a gmail notification for this and only this thread that not one of the links are highlighted, nor can any be copy/pasted in two browsers (Opera, FF) with success. 'Dirty word in title' filter? :laughing: (btw & also OT, Mobley still gets >2x my cable's bps @ 1/2 the $$)

Anyway I didn't want to steer the conversation, but after we sighted-in a friend's CVA .450 Bushie last week I'd hoped to say more about it.

Well, since the opener, 'Sam', (not) tells me he shot a six and it plopped where it stood. A 'nice' shoulder shot, and it wriggled a little. Then as he stood watching it got up and walked away, and not out of sight for 'quite a ways'. Sam followed soon after and saw 'a lot of blood'.

OMG!?! "Where was the follow up shot if you could have run up and stuck a knife in that buck like Tred Barta or clubbed it to death???" I cried.
"I didn't want to shoot him in the .." I'll call it 'carbon recycle ejector', ... and as if a neck roast wouldn't be worth saving either, 'sure bet' .. :eek: .. c'mon .. :rolleyes:

So, several of us :tractor: around his welcoming dinner table :horse: got to tease 'Sam' about the head shot or disabled leg that might have resulted from "shootin' him there" with HIS aim and the half the food that could still be gained. I spared him rubbing-in what I might say about the 15 min (generous) that I'd bet my bro' would devote to tracking. (psst .. the doe hanging outside his kitchen window might be 'jerky in January' .. :rolleyes:)

btw, I had a great Thanksgiving without firing a shot OR getting arrested :D, and I hope all o' y'all also enjoying this thread did too! t o g

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,028  
Just finished up 4 custom pancake holsters for a customer. 2 for a Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp 357,and 2 for a beautiful Dan Wesson Razorback chambered in 10mm auto. Both sets color matched with the grips on the guns. Customer gets them in the morning. Hope these blow his socks off!
1511581912540.jpg1511581939948.jpg1511581972744.jpg1511581997576.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,029  
Put four rounds through the 30.06 to make sure the scope was still zeroed. Deer season starts Monday.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,030  
Just finished up 4 custom pancake holsters for a customer. 2 for a Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp 357,and 2 for a beautiful Dan Wesson Razorback chambered in 10mm auto. Both sets color matched with the grips on the guns. Customer gets them in the morning. Hope these blow his socks off!
Nice work !