TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,042  
They just wanted psh's card info as suspected.

And yes, the numbers make sense for BMG to go the distance with an 'accidental discharge' at extreme angle. In artillery we call the result 'plunging fire', pretty much just falling at the end of the trajectory. The angle is a plus in Naval gunnery as decks are far less armored than hulls, so AP over-penetration above the belt is less likely and HE may do more damage to superstucture, cause fires on deck, etc.

In external ballistics we calculate that a 750g pill at 750 fps retains >900 ft/lbs of energy. Max range (vs 'max effective') for .50 BMG is said to be six miles under the right conditions. Projo coming in through a roof is no stretch considering the distance and result as reported.
Odd things happen, a tail wind with the ranges we're talking about could be huge but six miles? Sure you don't me 6k meters? Army is known for being way cautions when building ranges and their "distance x" is 6,500 meters, basically that means you're completely safe standing 6,501 meters in front of the gun no matter what environment or atmospheric conditions are occurring or how many rounds are fired. Yes, there are some higher BC rounds for .50 but getting far beyond a "worst case" for the caliber will be hard.
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/p385_63.pdf

ETA, as an example of their safety factor distance X for 9mm is 1,800 meters (1 1/4 miles) and .45 ACP 1,695 meters (still over a mile).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,044  
This near miss projectile is a little bit larger then a 50 BMG, and happened in Utah, 2005.

As I can remember, the 2 man crew packed up for the day and did not tell anyone that the shot went over the top of the mountain (if one bag of propellant is good for avalanche control, then 2 bags should be better?).

KC

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,045  
Odd things happen, a tail wind with the ranges we're talking about could be huge but six miles? Sure you don't me 6k meters? Army is known for being way cautions when building ranges and their "distance x" is 6,500 meters, basically that means you're completely safe standing 6,501 meters in front of the gun no matter what environment or atmospheric conditions are occurring or how many rounds are fired. Yes, there are some higher BC rounds for .50 but getting far beyond a "worst case" for the caliber will be hard.
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/p385_63.pdf

ETA, as an example of their safety factor distance X for 9mm is 1,800 meters (1 1/4 miles) and .45 ACP 1,695 meters (still over a mile).
Army's 'max effective range' considers ground engagement and/or typical uses, but doesn't include firing angles not prescribed for them. In artillery we have direct fire (target in sight) and high angle fire. (target close, lobs for CQ engagement like mortar fire) .50 BMG is used in direct fire, eg: long range target or sniper use, not for targets beyond visual range like artillery and/or not by firing at >45 degrees, etc.

Here is a trajectory example showing firing angles that are not used with BMG but common to field and fleet engagemments. This suggests an accidental discharge occurred to achieve distance, not something everyone admits to but a guy did step up and I don't think aliens were involved.

btw, MLRS has pretty much replaced self-propelled field artillery. Range is extended but still requires FDC/FADAC for aiming/correcting impacts. We do use FMJ tracers for direct fire training in field artillery while specialty rounds ('firecracker', 'beehive', etc) and HEAT are fused explosive shells, where .50 BMG's Jo's aren't fused. Air bursts use timed fuses for plunging shrapnel vs ground contact or PD, while Army HEAT Jo's use PD fuses like main battery naval guns. Final fuse arming is done by rotation within the barrel when fired, much like the 'propellers' on bombs of old. MLRS is on the way to un-manned/RC operation, much like aerial drones.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,046  
Army's 'max effective range' considers ground engagement and/or typical uses, but doesn't include firing angles not prescribed for them. In artillery we have direct fire (target in sight) and high angle fire. (target close, lobs for CQ engagement like mortar fire) .50 BMG is used in direct fire, eg: long range target or sniper use, not for targets beyond visual range like artillery and/or not by firing at >45 degrees, etc.

Here is a trajectory example showing firing angles that are not used with BMG but common to field and fleet engagemments. This suggests an accidental discharge occurred to achieve distance, not something everyone admits to but a guy did step up and I don't think aliens were involved.

btw, MLRS has pretty much replaced self-propelled field artillery. Range is extended but still requires FDC/FADAC for aiming/correcting impacts. We do use FMJ tracers for direct fire training in field artillery while specialty rounds ('firecracker', 'beehive', etc) and HEAT are fused explosive shells, where .50 BMG's Jo's aren't fused. Air bursts use timed fuses for plunging shrapnel vs ground contact or PD, while Army HEAT Jo's use PD fuses like main battery naval guns. Final fuse arming is done by rotation within the barrel when fired, much like the 'propellers' on bombs of old. MLRS is on the way to un-manned/RC operation, much like aerial drones.
SMH. Distance X is used for range control to plan ranges, it has nothing to do with an effective range...matter of fact if you look at the link you can even find artillery's and missile safe ranges.

Not sure what you mean by MLRS has replaced self propelled pieces, there are not MLRS at the Brigade level but there are still self propelled 155s and towed in far greater numbers than MLRS which is typically a division asset. Along with that I'm going to say my last trip we didn't launch any analog fuses? I'd have to double check. And we were our own FDC through other means but I digress.
48239058-0944-49F5-A318-41ECD6BA6B36.jpeg

ETA don't set the gun in to close to partner's buildings...
0269477D-1EB2-48DA-9D2E-CC7F3F4F66BA.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,047  
Ahh, I didn't see that anywhere..
I didn't request to cancel. I think Ebay just makes a sell list a readon to cancel. I've had pretty good luck on ebay over the years, but its gone from an online yard sale, to mostly corporate sellers now.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,048  
Loaded up some 308, with Lee 160gr Cast Powder coated bullets(Lee 312 mold, sized down to 310, then 309), over 31.5gr H4895, just as a first test of cast lead in this rifle. Also got in a new Lee 2 cavity 200gr 309 mold.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,049  
Anyone have a 6.5G bolt action that shoots sub MOA and can prove it? Seems like it should since it’s pretty easy with an AR platform, just can’t seem to find one that actually does out of a bolt gun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,050  
Loaded up some 308, with Lee 160gr Cast Powder coated bullets(Lee 312 mold, sized down to 310, then 309), over 31.5gr H4895, just as a first test of cast lead in this rifle. Also got in a new Lee 2 cavity 200gr 309 mold.
Did you measure for consistency of weight and length? Can’t wait to see your results.