TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,401  
Follow up, from Vortex site, its a 1" tube, but it is in MOA. Doesn't look like rezeroable turrents, but I do feel Vortex is more of a known item.
Screenshot_20220324-221538_Google.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,402  
"What scopes are you planning on comparing? Are you doing it for your own benefit, or do you have a blog?"

100% for my own benefit, but if I could take half way decent pictures, that show a difference, I will share them. There are thousands of reviews online, but I don't know if its technology, or other reasons, you almost never see side by side, visual comparisons. Yes, they compare clicks, and tracking, and feel, and give there opinions of the optics, but not pictures showing the difference.

Good clicks are fine, fancy reticle is fine, all that; but what I really want is a good zoom range, clear-bright glass, and to be able to adjust and shoot it. I'm not going to be dialing 50 MOA of elevation, or counting clicks, revs, ect in PRS. I want to be able to shoot tiny groups at 100/200 yards off a bench, and the head to the woods too.

I will add, I watch Joe the Cyclops and Affordable Optics and Rifles both on the 'Tube; and I'm not saying they are misleading; just wish they would put 20 scopes on a bench with images through them side by side, same day, same light ect; maybe zoom in on a quarter at 100 yards, and see which one can make out details vs which ones show just a silver colored disk...

Yep, I know, try them all; but in the store, it's not always apparent what they will really do out in the wild.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,403  
Your geography looks like mine. I have about 15 acres flat enough to get a tractor on. The rest averages 100% slope, some a little flatter, with one 50' vertical waterfall. Go 300' from the house and gain 300' in elevation. Lots of contours on the map.
Sounds similar for sure. There is a reason that little blue pencil line is called "Rush Branch" and the need for flood insurance.:eek:

I get more than 2.5 of rain and I see Class IV or better coming off the Knobs,( not that a canoe would fit those runs but the color and violence of the runoff reminds me of haystacks in a river. )I start to get a tick over my eye and keep a lookout for water backing up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,404  
"What scopes are you planning on comparing? Are you doing it for your own benefit, or do you have a blog?"

100% for my own benefit, but if I could take half way decent pictures, that show a difference, I will share them. There are thousands of reviews online, but I don't know if its technology, or other reasons, you almost never see side by side, visual comparisons. Yes, they compare clicks, and tracking, and feel, and give there opinions of the optics, but not pictures showing the difference.

Good clicks are fine, fancy reticle is fine, all that; but what I really want is a good zoom range, clear-bright glass, and to be able to adjust and shoot it. I'm not going to be dialing 50 MOA of elevation, or counting clicks, revs, ect in PRS. I want to be able to shoot tiny groups at 100/200 yards off a bench, and the head to the woods too.

I will add, I watch Joe the Cyclops and Affordable Optics and Rifles both on the 'Tube; and I'm not saying they are misleading; just wish they would put 20 scopes on a bench with images through them side by side, same day, same light ect; maybe zoom in on a quarter at 100 yards, and see which one can make out details vs which ones show just a silver colored disk...

Yep, I know, try them all; but in the store, it's not always apparent what they will really do out in the wild.
Redfield Revenge optics work pretty good on some of my rifles. I have a 2-7 on my .450 and can attain decent groupings out to 200 yards no worries. The 4-12 optic by the same name I have on my .308 and .30-06 both were able to ring a gong out to 500 yards with no issues. Where I am now I doubt I'll need either of the latter but the Bushmaster is in a ready rack by the door. ;)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,405  
Optics are decent on many lower priced scopes today. One thing I look at is the weight of a scope. The light scopes tend not to be made well. That translates to two issues. First, they do not take much abuse, which is not a concern for a "fun" gun or bench gun. Second, they do not track well, which matters if engaging at long range.

I had a Nikon scope that did not survive a fall of a couple of feet. It cost me a deer at 275 yards. I use higher end Vortex scopes now on hunting rifles and the sniper rifle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,407  
I had a Nikon Monarch scope on my 338 Win mag for decades. It was a great scope. Never shifted or fogged. I hunted with that all over N. AZ. in hot and (relatively) cold weather. One time I had a sling swivel break on the fore end and the rifle + scope swung down and landed flat across a rock with the scope taking the entire impact. I thought it was dead for sure then, but it was fine and it didn't even change the point of aim on the scope.

I sold that rifle right before we moved up here to ND. Kind of miss it, but there's really nothing up here that needs that much killing.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,408  
Redfield Revenge optics work pretty good on some of my rifles. I have a 2-7 on my .450 and can attain decent groupings out to 200 yards no worries. The 4-12 optic by the same name I have on my .308 and .30-06 both were able to ring a gong out to 500 yards with no issues. Where I am now I doubt I'll need either of the latter but the Bushmaster is in a ready rack by the door. ;)
I've got a pair of the Redfield Revolution scopes. They work OK.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,409  
I've got a pair of the Redfield Revolution scopes. They work OK.
Is that what they are? My mistake, it's been a few years since I bought them and the weird reticle in the 4-12's took a bit of getting used to. We didn't want the kids going into the family Biz so to speak so I shied away from mil-dot anything.(Go figure roughly half of my stock is MSR's and the rest are traditional arms.) The 2-7x34 power came with the old stand by duplex reticle or in Redfield's jargon a 4 plex? The 4-12x42's was called the Accu-Ranger I think. No badging on the tubes at all except the Redfield name. Good glass from my experience, from desert ( fun shoots and hopeful game hunts in West Tejas and Ft. Bliss) to Central US of A and the freak weather that occurs around my area. No fogging what so ever, solid construction and an occasional ding here and there thanks to a fence, blow down and yes this is shale country a slide or two.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,410  
I spent probably 45 minutes going cross eyed trying to make pictures threw a scope, and came to the conclusion, I just don't have the stuff to do it. The mount I 3d printed doesn't lock well, and there is no way to adjust space of phone to eye piece, and the picture view, when you could get everything lined up momentarily, it wasn't at all close to what you see with your eyes.