TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,021  
The reason I used a 300 Blackout BTW:
The property owner had houses on all sides of his 180 acre tree farm and did not want bullets leaving the property. he restricted weapons to Archery, Muzzle loaders or handguns. I showed him the data on my blackout and he agreed those bullets would not leave his property any more so than a muzzle loader or handgun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,023  
You missed my point, but I guess I didn't explain myself very well.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the best overall round to shoot suppressed is the .45 IMO.

I just wish someone would make a reliable .45 carbine
Ahhh, okay. Yes, .45 is under appreciated for suppressing...but don't let that secret out. That's actually my #1 for when I'm butchering critters, I can shoot a hog in the pen and the others don't even notice it happened, also tested on three horses now.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,024  
I dropped a smallish blacktail from a blind at 75 yards with a suppressed 300 Blackout. I loaded up the Lehigh .308 Maximum Expansion® 194gr Subsonic Bullet and it dropped that deer like a sack of potatoes. Supposedly they will expand down to 750 feet per second. Similar to hunting with a handgun I suppose.

Without using a bullet designed to expand at subsonic speeds there is no way I would shoot an animal with a subsonic blackout although I suppose some kind of hard-cast lead would work fine - I killed a bear at 40 yards with a hard-cast 44 RM and that bullet penetrated the neck vertebrae and exited. As long as shot placement is good a well penetrating bullet will work fine.

Even with a bullet designed to expand subsonic, my range would be under 100 yards due to the massive bullet drop. Energy and velocity seems to be decent though.

When zeroed at 85 yards I was +/- 2 inches to 100 yards. MV at 0 was 1100 and Energy was 521 ft/lbs

14 inches of drop at 150 (4509 ft lbs - 1023 fps)
23 inches at 175 (445 ft/lbs - 1012 fps)
34 inches at 200 (433 ft/lbs - 1000 fps)
44 inches at 220 426 ft/lbs - 995 fps)

With that kind of drop, every foot of distance significantly impacts POI once you get past 150.
Not even legal to hunt big game with that in several states.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,025  
True, every state has different laws and different minimums... Some make sense, others do not. I shot this in Washington a few years back.

Washington State only has a caliber restriction
Modern Firearm Regulations & METHODS EQUIPMENT Rifles: Big game, except cougar, must be hunted with a minimum of .24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle. Cougar may be hunted with .22 caliber centerfire rifle. Rimfire rifles are not legal for big game.

Many states allow .22 cal centerfire for Deer. I have seen devastating wound channels from the 223 WSSM. Wyoming does not allow .224 caliber for Pronghorn but Montana does. The 22.250 Remington is very effective at proper ranges.

I hope it goes without saying everyone needs to know the state regulations for where they hunt. As someone who has taught Hunters Ed in 2 different states, even more important than what the regs say is legal, is knowing what is ethical and ethics vary by region and situation. Shooting at a Deer with a legal handgun at 300 yards may be legal, but likely not ethical. Is it ethical to use dogs to hunt deer? I have an opinion, but that will vary by region. Is it ethical to shoot a large Elk in it's prime? In the US, yes, in many other countries, it is not - they prize shooting old animals past their prime.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,026  
In my current state of ID, I found this to be an odd limit:
Rifle, Shotgun and Airgun
In any hunt, including any-weapon seasons, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals: With any firearm that, in combination with a scope, sling and/ or any attachments, weighs more than 16 pounds.

I think I asked an enforcement officer about that and if I recall correctly he said it was an attempt to limit some of the extreme long range rifles. But I may have that incorrect.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,027  
In any hunt, including any-weapon seasons, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals: With any firearm that, in combination with a scope, sling and/ or any attachments, weighs more than 16 pounds.

I think I asked an enforcement officer about that and if I recall correctly he said it was an attempt to limit some of the extreme long range rifles. But I may have that incorrect.
I think Vortex podcast or someone talked about this. I guess somewhere, there was guys using sled type guns to in 338LM or 50BMG to take 2000 yard plus shots on Elk, and they would not be able to locate them on the next mountain over, or something like that.

Edit: might have been Ron Splomer

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,028  

I believe that is true, or at least I’ve heard the same rumor. I honestly don’t have problems with people that actually have the skill at those ranges to do that…but there are not many people that are truly capable past a few hundred yards. Heck, some people need to be told they shouldn’t try a shot on an animal at 100.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,029  
I believe that is true, or at least I’ve heard the same rumor. I honestly don’t have problems with people that actually have the skill at those ranges to do that…but there are not many people that are truly capable past a few hundred yards. Heck, some people need to be told they shouldn’t try a shot on an animal at 100.
Who said it; "I don't take long shots, and neither should anyone; unless it's a big one". Seems like there is two extreme camps; guys that brag they only take shots too xxx yards and only true broadside, and like to talk about an "ethical kill' and the other camp that goes, yeah, got a moose at 800 yards.

I kinda know my limits; but I'm willing to admit, it's a sliding scale. I very well might take a shot on the last day of the season, that you never would have early.

Heck, not a proud moment, and I did feel a little bad after it, a few years ago, but I got a "one handed deer" on last weekend. It wasn't spotted, but I bet it wasn't 60 lbs...

I also was really uninspired with bullet/cartridge performance. Federal Fusion, 6.5 Grendel, and I really think the deer was too thing for the bullet to expand fully; pencil in, pencil out, and ran farther then a 60 lbs deer should have, when hit at close range with a 140gr bullet, at 2400 fps.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,030  
Guess what I'm saying is; if it's legal game, and legal means of take; either be happy for the shooter, or bite your lip. No one needs to hear how unethical bows are; or that real ment use a stick bow; or 300 yards is unethical, ect.