TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,741  
Premium quality glass is a big part of it. Also, depends on terrain and even then, sometimes you have to wait for movement. It gets hard to tell the difference between a clod of dirt, or a rock, and a bean bear. I have one shooting friend that constantly says his glass is "good enough", but at half the magnification (24x). He's the first one to ask me if that mystery clump in the distance is a prairie dog. I have the luxury of being able to crank my optical zoom up to 42x (when weather and atmospheric conditions allow) and watch the "clump" for a few moments. Then, if it's a dog, I follow that up with a "boom", and a flat reply that it was indeed a prairie dog. Which usually got me cussed at by my buddy. Lol.

If you can't see them, or identify them, then you have no chance of hitting one, regardless on what caliber/ammo combo you're using.

I also personally wouldn't shoot a moose at a thousand yards, regardless of rig. With a prairie dog, and a "large" (relatively speaking) caliber dog gun, a hit is a kill due to how large the bullet + energy level is vs. how small the target animal is. With a big game animal, there's too much risk (in my opinion) of a wounding shot striking the animal and not killing it at those kinds of distances. Just too much body area you can strike that won't kill it. Not trying to start a debate on "ethical distances", but that's my opinion, and how I call my own shots. For me, my longest elk shot (similar body size to a moose) was 350 yards and I smacked her (cow) down hard with the first and only shot from my 338 Win mag. She never twitched or stirred after the bullet struck her. Plenty of energy present at that distance for a quick, killing shot (with proper bullet placement obviously). I used to say that 338 killed elk like The Fist of God.

crazy that's some sports ... I 100% agree everything you said here... I as far as ethical distance to me as long as one is confident, has practice and his consistent at that distance and the condition are right it can be ethical to make the shot... but like you said the energy still need to be there, it is easy to catch a rib and if the energy is no there it's not good.

I am curious is your scope has enough adjustment to make on target aim at this distance? (Optic sight on target) and if so is it pretty much at the end of its adjustments ? or you have to aim above the target using the scope grid lines.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,742  
Just received the Billconch biometric (bedside) pistol safe. Came with a dead battery that won't charge but otherwise looks good. $15 Amazon got some larger capacity batteries, probably needed in the future anyway. Same batteries my tactical flashlights use so having a couple of fresh spares is no worry.
I programmed a numerical code and a couple of fingerprints. Looks solid and works good plugged in with the usb cable right now. Will fasten it to the night table and stop storing pistols under the bed lol

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,744  
Sleeping with a handgun ready in reach is good. A short barrel 12g with 00 buck is 9 times better. ;)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,745  
I know I'm gonna sound like a Fudd, and that is Not the case; I normally have a 22lr or 22wmr next to the bed, in a 16" rifle, either bolt or lever; Because 99% of the 'crap I got to go check on that' is coyote/fox/snake in chicken coop/trash/ect.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,746  
I know I'm gonna sound like a Fudd, and that is Not the case; I normally have a 22lr or 22wmr next to the bed, in a 16" rifle, either bolt or lever; Because 99% of the 'crap I got to go check on that' is coyote/fox/snake in chicken coop/trash/ect.
Not to me, while carry a pistol most times at night if there is commotion I grab a 22. Mostly it will be raccoons at the coop or harassing duck on nests. Besides it will do the job on coyote within reason.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,747  
Sleeping with a handgun ready in reach is good. A short barrel 12g with 00 buck is 9 times better. ;)
I prefer #4 buck, 27 .22 balls in each 2 3/4" round sitting in the 870, with the last couple being slugs.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,748  
crazy that's some sports ... I 100% agree everything you said here... I as far as ethical distance to me as long as one is confident, has practice and his consistent at that distance and the condition are right it can be ethical to make the shot... but like you said the energy still need to be there, it is easy to catch a rib and if the energy is no there it's not good.

I am curious is your scope has enough adjustment to make on target aim at this distance? (Optic sight on target) and if so is it pretty much at the end of its adjustments ? or you have to aim above the target using the scope grid lines.
It does have enough mechanical adjustment to get there. But only because it is already sitting on a 20 moa base. For those unfamiliar, that means that the base is angled in relation to the bore line, and not parallel to the bore line. This puts the bullet strike 20 moa "high" before you start using the internal adjustments of the scope to increase elevation. Since I never take a shot under 500 yards with this specific rifle ( I take several other rifles with me for such ranged targets), it is not a handicap to sighting the rifle at range. But the whole rig system (cartridge, bullet, transition to subsonic, scope adjustment, etc) all tend to "poop out" at the 1100-1200 yard range, it all "works" together in that 700-1100 yard "sweet spot" I put it together for.

If I needed/wanted to push 2K or beyond for example, I would need to build a different rig entirely. Probably based on a 338 Lapua, or maybe some form of Cheytac, but for me here, there would be very limited access to those kind of range distances, so I haven't really been interested in building one, or trying to map one out.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,749  
It does have enough mechanical adjustment to get there. But only because it is already sitting on a 20 moa base. For those unfamiliar, that means that the base is angled in relation to the bore line, and not parallel to the bore line. This puts the bullet strike 20 moa "high" before you start using the internal adjustments of the scope to increase elevation. Since I never take a shot under 500 yards with this specific rifle ( I take several other rifles with me for such ranged targets), it is not a handicap to sighting the rifle at range. But the whole rig system (cartridge, bullet, transition to subsonic, scope adjustment, etc) all tend to "poop out" at the 1100-1200 yard range, it all "works" together in that 700-1100 yard "sweet spot" I put it together for.

If I needed/wanted to push 2K or beyond for example, I would need to build a different rig entirely. Probably based on a 338 Lapua, or maybe some form of Cheytac, but for me here, there would be very limited access to those kind of range distances, so I haven't really been interested in building one, or trying to map one out.

Thanks, that make sense and it's kind of what I was thinking... I have heard that they are adjustable mount but I would wonder how reliable they are overtime.

You might be interested in this, I've listen to a interview with Dallas Alexander a retired Canadian JTF2 sniper he has the second longest record kill shot (just notice he got beat in the Russia Ukraine conflict he used to be first) and he said he got that record because of the new device (at the time) a prism that attach at the end of the scope (I found it and its called tacom hq prism) so they adjust that to distort the image in order to be able to make sight on target shots at long distances.

see link below for the device... have you heard of it before ?

1711825223127.png

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,750  
All I can say is my 20 MOA cant EGW rail was a helluva lot cheaper than any of those high buck add on optics, like 100 times cheaper. Never had issue one with it with my long range Vortex scope mounted on it either. I guess if you like blowing money, it's all about you but certainly not for me... ever. I can dial my 338 Lapua Savage 11-111 long range to 1500 yards, no issue and I also own a Barret 50 with the BORS sighting system installed and the BORS gives you the proper windage and elevation without any fiddling. Problem is the Barrett is a brick when toting anywhere. The Savage, not so much. I load 300 grain Bergers with 102 grains of propellant in Norma brass for my Lapua and they are all good for me.