TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,563  
About 30 years ago, when I was young and ignorant, I listened to my father-in-law when we put an addition on the house and added a bathroom. His idea for the septic system for the new bathroom was to bury an old 275 gallon oil tank with a bunch of holes punched in it. Like I said, I was young and ignorant. Anyway, flash forward to about 15 years ago and the toilet stopped working....did I forget to mention that my father-in-law's idea did not include a clean out for the "septic tank". Anyway, the toilet got rerouted to the regular septic tank for the house. I left the clothes washer and shower attached to the drain pipe to my father-in-law's "septic tank". The house now belongs to my son and he has noticed that the area where the "septic tank" is buried has water on the surface when anyone uses the shower/clothes washer.

Figured it was time to modify the system and bypass the "septic tank". As it's only grey water from the shower and washing machine I figured I'd install a drainage pit and a gravel galley for any overflow. The yard is an old cow pasture with about 2 feet of topsoil then all sand. The largest rock is about the size of a baseball. Any water drains away really quickly as the water table around here is not too high and the sand just soaks up any water.

So, I got 5 hours seat time today digging up the old septic pipe, digging a trench for the new pipe and installing the drainage pit and leaching galley. I needed the practice with the backhoe. I started out moving one lever at a time and making only one movement at a time. Eventually I got to the point where I was able to coordinate curling the bucket, lifting the boom and swinging the dipperstick in all at the same time. Practice, practice, practice!

IMG_5342_zpse9377f81.jpg

IMG_5343_zps01fa7528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5342_zpse9377f81.jpg
    IMG_5342_zpse9377f81.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5344_zps64a33296.jpg
    IMG_5344_zps64a33296.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5343_zps01fa7528.jpg
    IMG_5343_zps01fa7528.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 169
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,564  
Finally got the tractor back from repairs. Picked up a new box blade & roto-tiller while I was there. Gotta say I knew my old box was done but man o man what a HUGE increase in performance between new and very used (old) equipment. Never ceases to amaze me.
Did a couple of hours late yesterday afternoon working the gravel driveway and road. Not done yet but it's a start. Soon as the ground dries a bit and the rains back off, we have some tilling and planting to do. Never ending.

Only an hour last night but more to come today.

Sorry, no pics yet.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,565  
Finally got the tractor back from repairs. Picked up a new box blade & roto-tiller while I was there. Gotta say I knew my old box was done but man o man what a HUGE increase in performance between new and very used (old) equipment. Never ceases to amaze me.
Did a couple of hours late yesterday afternoon working the gravel driveway and road. Not done yet but it's a start. Soon as the ground dries a bit and the rains back off, we have some tilling and planting to do. Never ending.

Only an hour last night but more to come today.

Sorry, no pics yet.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,566  
Got about 2 hrs in so far. Almost done with gravel road & driveway. Did some ditch work as best I could with the box, going to switch to blade later and finish it up.

Found a couple of huge turtles just chillin near one of the ditches. Durn near ran over one of em.

Updates to come later

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,567  
23 hours on the tractor in 2 days at the camp this weekend skidding logs and fixing our road

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,568  
woof - sudden torrential downpour just dropped over an inch inside of 30 minutes. Gonna be water logged for a bit. grrrrr

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,569  
woof - sudden torrential downpour just dropped over an inch inside of 30 minutes. Gonna be water logged for a bit. grrrrr

For all us old guys:

woof verb: to declare something bad, ugly, terrible, or nasty.

interjection: use as an expletive to express disgust or surprise.

grrrrr the only word in the English dictionary to describe the complete and utter annoyance of day to day anger !!! said with some proper omph

From http://www.urbandictionary.com/

I have to use it a lot nowadays!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,570  
grrrrr the only word in the English dictionary to describe the complete and utter annoyance of day to day anger !!! said with some proper omph

I seem to be using this term alot nowdays after my wife gets done using my tractor. Gotta teach that girl how to use a power washer!