TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,911  
I'm trying to understand your thinking... why would you hoist those big rounds up onto a horizontal splitter instead of leaving them on the ground with the splitter vertical? I've gotten to where I split everything with my splitter vertical instead of picking big logs up and wrestle them onto that beam.. just scootch them onto that little foot and split away!

they weren't totally round and with my arthritis I don't have the strength to move them around/roll them easily on the ground/splitting vertically. It's easier for me to deal with them at waist high vs ankle high. With the feed tray, I can usually park the unsplit part there while splitting the rest but not so easy with stuff this big.
I don't disagree with you; I just can't bend over very well so dealing with heavy things standing up is better for me. Frankly I really should just roll this big stuff into the woods. There is plenty of fall down wood on my property, I've only been here a year so i really could just stick with the smaller stuff. This oak tree fell into the neighbor's bean field so it had to be dealt with.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,912  
Well - today is the same as its been for the last two week. I'm sitting inside looking out at all the smoke, haze & crud in the air. Due to all the wildfires in the surrounding counties, we are under a level 1 health advisory. The only good thing is there are no fires in the immediate area. One way or the other its bound to end - either the fires will burn everything or those brave souls will get them put out. I haven't had a good nights sleep in over two weeks.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,913  
Here is the big mama piece of wood. 40 inches at the big end other end 38 inches and 11 feet long. My Kubota's just wasn't going to lift this one. My guesstimate weight is 4,000 pounds. Even a huge tractor just can't lift with a medium sized forklift. image-2296724376.jpg image-1026641391.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,914  
If Xfaxman doesn't quit showing off that Versa of his, I'm gonna go put 4 flats in it.:mad::p
Xfaxman, does that Versa have float on that boom for the bucket.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,915  
4570Man,

Go to - - WoodWeb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight - - to get a fairly accurate guesstimate. Now if that was a chunk of Ponderosa pine, like I've got here, then the calculated weight would be - 3795 pounds.

I cut all my pine logs into either 5' or 10' lengths and have a "log weigh table" so I, basically, know how much I'm lifting.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,916  
4570Man, Go to - - WoodWeb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight - - to get a fairly accurate guesstimate. Now if that was a chunk of Ponderosa pine, like I've got here, then the calculated weight would be - 3795 pounds. I cut all my pine logs into either 5' or 10' lengths and have a "log weigh table" so I, basically, know how much I'm lifting.
The problem is I don't know what kind of wood it is. Willow is the best guess. Next guess is maple. I originally thought it was walnut, but it isn't.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,917  
The calculator shows 4,500 for maple 5,000 for walnut, 3,500 for willow, and just for fun 6,300 for hickory.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,918  
I don't have to worry much about that here. I've got either Ponderosa pine or Ponderosa pine. In any case - that's one BIG honkin' log.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,919  
why would you hoist those big rounds up onto a horizontal splitter instead of leaving them on the ground with the splitter vertical?

I prefer to use the tractor to lift them up. The biggest reason is dealing with it after it's split. I'm stuck splitting the whole log vertical, which sucks dealing with the split AND non-split pieces. I find I move more wood more often vertical. So i just use the loader to put it up there, then once it's in half (usually) it's normal operating. Since I don't have a shelf, I'll often use the loader bucket as a shelf, which is handy too.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #4,920  
If Xfaxman doesn't quit showing off that Versa of his, I'm gonna go put 4 flats in it.:mad::p

I am not too worried, since you are a long ways away. :laughing:

Xfaxman, does that Versa have float on that boom for the bucket.
Yep it has float. :thumbsup:

Use float with the box blade sometimes.

PA240002.JPG

PA240004.JPG

PA240005.JPG

And to show off: :D

P5060097.JPG

P6100014.JPG

P6230040.JPG