TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,911  
I'll be honest with you, I really wish they still made a truck today like this old 81, I would happily buy it. Compared to the new trucks this thing is simple and easy to work on, everything is easy to get to, doesn't have 4 layers of plastic to remove first, everything is rebuildable and grease-able on it.

Sure it doesn't ride like a Cadillac like some of these newer trucks but it still has a nice ride.

If Ford made a truck like this today I would buy it in a heartbeat because it wouldn't cost a arm and when I broke down it was easy to fix and service.

They make work trucks there not that much cheaper than the luxury line.

Just for giggles I went to the Ford website and built my own truck.

Regular cab, 2wd, 2.7L ecoboost, 8ft bed and a 6 speed auto transmission.

$27,410 with 3.5L V6
$28,405 with 2.7L ecoboost

$30,005 with a 3.5L ecoboost but that's only available with a 10 speed automatic trans. Lol

XLT is $5000 more

For a 1/2 ton basic pickup....crazy!

Edit: I went more into detail, added manual towing mirrors ($90), step bar ($300), reverse sensing system ($275) bed liner, Max Trailer Tow Package ($1195), Heavy Duty Payload package ($1500) and that bumped the MSRP up to 35k but it has a 2k rebate incentive lowering it to just 33k lol. That's the 10speed trans with the 3.5 ecoboost. Pocket change

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,912  
You really can't go by numbers they post as MSRP. I have had my 2015 Lariat since March 28th, 2016. Sticker on it was $49400, due to being the last nice '15 they had, I got it for $38800 without much of a haggle. As equipped, including my weight and the weight of my aftermarket additions, I can strap over 10500lbs of trailer and cargo to the rear and tote it along. The brakes on it are massive and have no issues stopping that sort of weight either. Even with all that said, I'd trade it for a new/old one any day.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,913  
What gets me is that 27k truck has a towing capability of 5k, with a $895 trailer tow package it goes up to 11,100lbs with the 3.5L and 6 speed trans

Bump that to the Max Trailer Tow Package ($1295) with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 speed trans and that goes up to 12,200 net MSRP of 30,595

I think I'm just gonna build up my truck with a class 5 receiver and a trailer brake controller with a 7 pin round plug and be done with it lol. Total cost will be around $350. That should pull 7500-8000lbs easy, my buddies trailer has brakes on both axles so I'm not worried about stopping.

Edit: I just made a impulse buy of a class 5 receiver that will handle 2400lb tongue and 16k towing lol. It was $38 more than the class 4 which was 1000/10,000lb and less then 100 more than a class 3 which is 500/5000lb, I'll have another idk $60 in all the rest I need. I would like to have it built enough to haul my tractor a short distance, tractor is 5200lbs and the trailer is 2,750lbs with brakes on both axles, total around 8,000lbs.

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,914  
I would up-size the brakes also. One should always be "worried about stopping". Trailer brakes are only good as long as there isn't an electrical failure, which is actually a common failure.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,915  
I would up-size the brakes also. One should always be "worried about stopping". Trailer brakes are only good as long as there isn't an electrical failure, which is actually a common failure.

I will look into that, towing 5k off the bumper, she stopped ok, all the front brakes from the rubber brake lines threw the calipers are all new last year so I will test them before I upgrade.

So I ordered a class 5 receiver, wiring kit for the controller, a 4 and 7 pin combo kit for the trailer hook ups and I already have a controller. Total I'm at $293 shipped to the front door. Receiver is a one piece welded frame, cheaper ones have bolts and I didn't want that, more fail points. I just have to run some wiring and drill 6 holes in my frame and she will tow anything a F150 can handle. She deff won't break speed records but should get the job done. We will see. Cheaper than a new truck I guess.

She has no brake hook ups at all right now, I drove around for 3 years towing multiple trailers and didn't have lights for them. I did use a flag or something across the back of the trailer. So that part is long over due.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,916  
Back to the thread topic...

Spread 14yds of bark mulch. Only 1/3 was by wheelbarrow. Usually takes me two days but this year I was sweeping up in 6hrs!

20170401_115021.jpg

The shed's almost done.

20170401_171032.jpg

-R

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,918  
Got the Husqvarna riding mower out today for the first time this season. Put gas in it and it fired up as soon as the carb bowl filled up. Used it to run the lawn rake over the yard today. Going to fertilize tomorrow, after I put new shocks on my truck. Used the Branson yesterday to regrade and blade my driveway after the snow melt runoff was done running down and rutting it up.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,919  
I'll be honest with you, I really wish they still made a truck today like this old 81, I would happily buy it. Compared to the new trucks this thing is simple and easy to work on, everything is easy to get to, doesn't have 4 layers of plastic to remove first, everything is rebuildable and grease-able on it.

Sure it doesn't ride like a Cadillac like some of these newer trucks but it still has a nice ride.

If Ford made a truck like this today I would buy it in a heartbeat because it wouldn't cost a arm and when I broke down it was easy to fix and service.

They make work trucks there not that much cheaper than the luxury line.

Just for giggles I went to the Ford website and built my own truck.

Regular cab, 2wd, 2.7L ecoboost, 8ft bed and a 6 speed auto transmission.

$27,410 with 3.5L V6
$28,405 with 2.7L ecoboost

$30,005 with a 3.5L ecoboost but that's only available with a 10 speed automatic trans. Lol

XLT is $5000 more

For a 1/2 ton basic pickup....crazy!

Edit: I went more into detail, added manual towing mirrors ($90), step bar ($300), reverse sensing system ($275) bed liner, Max Trailer Tow Package ($1195), Heavy Duty Payload package ($1500) and that bumped the MSRP up to 35k but it has a 2k rebate incentive lowering it to just 33k lol. That's the 10speed trans with the 3.5 ecoboost. Pocket change

My 2011 3.5L F150 smokes in every measurable way my old 1981 F250.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #6,920  
My 2011 3.5L F150 smokes in every measurable way my old 1981 F250.

Except in price

Sure it tows more, has more HP, goes faster ext. but like I said the new work trucks are 27-30k MSRP. What happened to a cheap old work truck like they used to have?

All I'm saying is I don't need a truck to drag race while towing a trailer, I just need it to tow 5k-10,000lbs at a safe highway speed (70-80mph max) and not cost an arm and a leg.