TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,061  
I've always used Spinosad for potato beetles; it was found in an abandoned rum factory down in Barbados and is the only place that it naturally occurs. After reading your post I compared that with Neem oil and found that the latter is a lot less harmful to bees; I guess that I will be switching this year.
An older neighbor keeps offering me something "they use on the potato farms. You put it in the row along with the seed potatoes and fertilizer, so you never have bugs."

That's another reason why I prefer to grow my own.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,062  
I haven't checked this thread in a while... I'm all up to date on gravel quantity measurement, and potato farming now... *grin* locally, we buy gravel by the ton, but more on that in a minute, and my hats off to thoes providing community service such as the huge effort put into the crops provided for local food kitchens.

Now, about the subject of gravel...

About 6 months ago, the DOH was doing some road repairs on the highway that passes thru my property, and brought me several loads of fill dirt. Made a great improvement to the lower side of the barn, was able to make a nice access/parking area, which is mostly finished. Wife can't stand the 'rough' look of bare dirt, it still needs smoothed up, and the slopped lower side needs contoured better when its dry enough to traverse.
The other day, state guy stops at the house when Im at work, asks wife if we want more, to which she replys... 'He!! No!, we need gravel!' Long story short, there was 5 tons of 3/4" limestone dumped in the lot by the barn when I got home yesterday night, they need a dump spot bad enough to give us gravel to be able to dump dirt from a slip repair 2 miles up the road. Win/win for me, I'll have a nice area filled below the barn, and some steep banks smoothed out nicely... and likely more gravel to boot, if my wife as much to do with it!

I got the gravel spread on the driveway to the house today, and where the wife parks her vehicles, it turned out nicely. I judge my tractor skills by how much hand raking is needed after the loader work is done, and all back-drug... turned out smooth, never got the rake out of the barn, kicked a small high ridge down with my boots on my way back to the house!

Sorry no pictures...

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,063  
I wish someone would give me good dirt or gravel. In this state, someone can be fired for unloading anything off the right of way.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,064  
The DOH can't just dump anything anywhere, but if locals are willing to take the fill/spoils from road repairs, they can... the project supervisor is who we have talked to all along, and seems to have the authority to make such 'deals'.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,065  
^^^
It sounds like your wife is a pretty smart cookie, getting what you needed so that they would give you what you want. :thumbsup:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,066  
Yeah, she's a keeper... and I'm spoiled. All I have to do is bring home a paycheck. She takes care of the rest... I do what I can to help out, don't get that wrong, but juggling bills, household management, kids and their appointments/activities, etc... she's got it covered. Im a d@mn lucky guy. I cover farm work that involves the tractor, and vehicle issues, house repairs, the normal 'guy stuff'... *grin*

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,067  
8" of wet, heavy snow this morning, so I put the 1953 40S to work: Pictures 2019 003.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,068  
Couldn't get a pic, but took the tractor over to a neighbor's to pick up some steel. I'm going to build a snow plow mount. He gave me 3 20' sticks of 3" angle. I'm glad I took the tractor because it was a thick muddy bogg. Even in 4WD, the tractor was sliding all over. We had 39" of snow last weekend, and about 3/4 of it melted off in the last 3 days. Needless to say, the tractor is a MESS!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,069  
First significant snowfall since we got the new LS back in 2016 hit us this weekend. This is definitely a lot easier than using a shovel.

LS XR3135HC Snow Removal 2018-01-12.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #9,070  
^^^^^^
...This is definitely a lot easier than using a shovel.

You've got that right! There hasn't been any shortage of snow here this year however... I'm starting to feel as though plowing snow for me is like cutting wood is for Sawyer Rob!

I suspect that your rig will move a lot more snow much faster than mine, too. :thumbsup:
Also much warmer... next year I'm going to have a plow on my pickup.