Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #551  
I spent the better part of the weekend building a set of ramps (steel and wood) for my dump trailer. They will be only used for equipment under 7000#.

Seven feet long and 10.25 inches wide. I used 3" channel, 1.5"X1.5"x.25" angle iron, and 2x8 pressure treated boards.

I didn't have cheap or easy access to any aluminum so had to use what I had.

View attachment 554435View attachment 554436View attachment 554437View attachment 554438

The look extremely heavy to handle but very capable of handling a very heavy piece of equipment. I sure hope you have some help to put them on and off so you don't damage your back and end up like me.

/ Todays shop time. #553  
The look extremely heavy to handle but very capable of handling a very heavy piece of equipment. I sure hope you have some help to put them on and off so you don't damage your back and end up like me.

They're 90 pounds apiece, Gary. Easy enough to hurt yourself not being careful. I'll keep a lookout for some used aluminum to make another set.

/ Todays shop time. #554  
The front plastic fenders on my NH telehandler (purchased new in 2008) are toast. Between UV deterioration and the fenders "catching" on full turn/extreme axle oscillations this is what they looked like:

IMG_0732.JPG

New Holland wanted close to $2000 for a new set, so I decided to try bending up a pair using .09 (approximately 11 gauge) aluminum checker plate I had left over from a previous project.

They turned out good enough for a couple of hours work. What really annoyed me was when I removed the originals I realized either the factory or the dealer had installed them on the incorrect sides (left and right). The barely noticeable 1" offset probably contributed to their early demise.

IMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

I'll have to pick up more aluminum to replace the two rear fenders.

Last edited:
   / Todays shop time. #555  
A few days ago, my wife came to me with a drawing and dimensions (that she made) of a little book case and asked me if I could make it for her. SO, I got some scrap boards off the end of the sawmill and headed to the wood shop,

standard.jpg

and put this together,

standard.jpg

At least, that's how far along I am... She says when it's ready, she wants to do the final sanding and put the polly on. SO, who am I to argue with that??? lol

SR

/ Todays shop time. #556  
The front plastic fenders on my NH telehandler (purchased new in 2008) are toast. Between UV deterioration and the fenders "catching" on full turn/extreme axle oscillations this is what they looked like:

View attachment 555489

New Holland wanted close to $2000 for a new set, so I decided to try bending up a pair using .09 (approximately 11 gauge) aluminum checker plate I had left over from a previous project.

They turned out good enough for a couple of hours work. What really annoyed me was when I removed the originals I realized either the factory or the dealer had installed them on the incorrect sides (left and right). The barely noticeable 1" offset probably contributed to their early demise.

View attachment 555491View attachment 555492

I suppose going back to dealer on a 10 year old screw up is not going to get you far. DIYers looking good though!

/ Todays shop time. #557  

View attachment 555489

View attachment 555491View attachment 555492

Your replacement fenders look a lot better and should last longer.

/ Todays shop time. #558  
I overheard my wife talking to one of our daughters (lives ~200 miles away) and saying we'll see them Friday night.. oops, Papa was supposed to have some wooden cars ready to assemble next time we visited.. grandkids might have forgotten, but on the chance that they didn't, spent some shop time cutting some blocks, drilling axle holes, sanding the sharp corners off and then drilling and fitting the holes for the "peoples" to sit. Nothing fancy, but they love playing with them. Painting them this summer when camping is on the schedule..

/ Todays shop time. #559  
I overheard my wife talking to one of our daughters (lives ~200 miles away) and saying we'll see them Friday night.. oops, Papa was supposed to have some wooden cars ready to assemble next time we visited.. grandkids might have forgotten, but on the chance that they didn't, spent some shop time cutting some blocks, drilling axle holes, sanding the sharp corners off and then drilling and fitting the holes for the "peoples" to sit. Nothing fancy, but they love playing with them. Painting them this summer when camping is on the schedule..

The grandkids will love'em!!

/ Todays shop time. #560