Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #11  
Not all Kubota "treadle pedals" are alike, so check out the different models to see if one fits you better than the others.

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #12  
It might be helpful to begin the subject of such mundane info with a header of "Newbie Hints" or "Basic Operational Concepts", or some such.

Could have been worse - you could've been trying to start your tractor with the PTO lever engaged...

JayC

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #13  
This is a skill that I learned when I was much younger. However I just learned how to use a grease gun properly... Something new ever day!

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #14  
That's what I was asking about. So it works good like that?

It does for me, Like I said I seem to be in the minority, but it is quicker than shifting your foot, from pedal to pedal, I have a 2 pedal setup on my JD, and while I love that mower, I like the Kubota treadle pedal better.

James K0UA

Attachments

• DSCF0339.JPG
    DSCF0339.JPG
    476.9 KB · Views: 126
   / Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #15  
Never tried this treadle pedal / brake on the same side setup and it seems like it would be awkward if you were in a bad spot and really needed both at the same time. I was just wondering what is on the left side that made Kubota engineers put to key functions on one side?:confused:

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #16  
Never tried this treadle pedal / brake on the same side setup and it seems like it would be awkward if you were in a bad spot and really needed both at the same time. I was just wondering what is on the left side that made Kubota engineers put to key functions on one side?:confused:

I think I can answer that Glen, This L series (like my L3400hst) are "economy" models and as such do not have electric PTO engagement, so have a clutch for that function as well as its function as a starter safety. the clutch of course also disengages the hydro too. So there is a clutch on the left, and brakes on the right, I happen to like the brakes on the right when the very few times you need brakes (down a severe hill, and you need to hold there while someone shovels something out of the bucket.) It is natural for me to right foot brake, and if I roaded it (which I dont) I would want the brakes on the right where I would use my right foot without thinking.. I want the PTO clutch on the left where it has been for 50 years of my tractor driving, and was ingrained in my head at an early age to stab the clutch and stop the tractor and PTO when bad things happen. When I back the brush cutter into the thicket, and dont know whats in there the right hand is on the 3pt lift and the left foot is poised over the clutch. These are my thoughts at to why, they might not be right, but is what I think. As for split braking, with a hydro you just dont need to do it that often, as it is so easy to see-saw the tractor back and forth and turn the wheel as you can instantly change direction by rocking your foot. The only times I have used the split brakes is snowpushing and when slipping sideways it is handy to have and use split steering brakes. I do it by using the cruise control, and stepping on the split brake now that my right foot is free from the treadle pedal. Some one once accused Kubota HST owners of maybe wearing TU-Tu's and doing a Ballet like shuffle with the left leg crossing over to do the split braking chores, BUT I can assure you I have never worn a TU-TU.

James K0UA

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #18  
I think I can answer that Glen, This L series (like my L3400hst) are "economy" models and as such do not have electric PTO engagement, so have a clutch for that function as well as its function as a starter safety. the clutch of course also disengages the hydro too. So there is a clutch on the left, and brakes on the right, I happen to like the brakes on the right when the very few times you need brakes (down a severe hill, and you need to hold there while someone shovels something out of the bucket.) It is natural for me to right foot brake, and if I roaded it (which I dont) I would want the brakes on the right where I would use my right foot without thinking.. I want the PTO clutch on the left where it has been for 50 years of my tractor driving, and was ingrained in my head at an early age to stab the clutch and stop the tractor and PTO when bad things happen. When I back the brush cutter into the thicket, and dont know whats in there the right hand is on the 3pt lift and the left foot is poised over the clutch. These are my thoughts at to why, they might not be right, but is what I think. As for split braking, with a hydro you just dont need to do it that often, as it is so easy to see-saw the tractor back and forth and turn the wheel as you can instantly change direction by rocking your foot. The only times I have used the split brakes is snow pushing and when slipping sideways it is handy to have and use split steering brakes. I do it by using the cruise control, and stepping on the split brake now that my right foot is free from the treadle pedal. Some one once accused Kubota HST owners of maybe wearing TU-Tu's and doing a Ballet like shuffle with the left leg crossing over to do the split braking chores, BUT I can assure you I have never worn a TU-TU.

James K0UA

Very good explanation, I do run tractors, both HST and geared between three farms and emergency braking is one of the reasons I have used for preferring brakes on the right as that is where all but one of our tractors are except the John Deere and it never leaves the farm. I was recently finessing some rock into a washout on one of our ponds when the front wheel dropped in the soft ground or something and the only thing that kept me dry was instinctively hitting the "right" brakes. I was using our M8540, but my instinctive reaction would have been the same regardless. This will not be the same for everyone, but is for me. I only put 600-800 hours a year on tractors and if I used them more, it may be more instinctive. I am sure farmers have no problems.

I too use the cruise control on the rare occasion I use split braking with HST and if I need to go in reverse, I just use my cane.

My son uses a combination of cruise and the "Kubota Shuffle" to brake steer. He was in the 82nd Airborne and teaches Advanced Handgun, Patrol Rifle, Sniper, Land Navigation etc., so we cut him some slack on the tu-tu; don't think it counts if it's camo anyway.:laughing:

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #19  
My son uses a combination of cruise and the "Kubota Shuffle" to brake steer. He was in the 82nd Airborne and teaches Advanced Handgun, Patrol Rifle, Sniper, Land Navigation etc., so we cut him some slack on the tu-tu; don't think it counts if it's camo anyway.:laughing:

Roger that!:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Toe Lift Epiphany ~ Duhhhhh #20  
I have used the lifting of my right foot to reverse on both my B21 and now my B26 for some time now. In fact whenever I purchase a new set of workboots I immediately take them to the shoe repair guy and have him add an additional strip of rubber behind the toe protector on the right boot. I have found that over time lifting the pedal with the same right boot caused the leather on the top to wear prematurely just where the steel toe ends. Adding the piece of rubber ensure the right boot lasts longer.

I have bad knees and found that having to move the right foot back to push down caused my knee to get very sore after a couple of hours of loader work. Lifting the toe is much easier for me.