Tomato Blight Help

/ Tomato Blight Help #1  

TCJatko

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300
Anybody have success dealing with tomato blight? I have a real problem; it seems to get worse each year. Any miracle cures? I generally spray occasionally with a fungicide like Daconil, but this year's wet weather has made that impractical.

/ Tomato Blight Help #2  
Honestly, I just don't worry about it. Every year, my tomatoes start getting yellow/brown leaves at the bottom and it climbs up the top. And every year, I still get way more tomatoes than I care to eat. The plant seems to stay ahead of the blight. Your blight might be worse than mine, and if so, don't mind me. But when I first noticed it, I was all freaking out trying to figure out how to stop it, and eventually I realized it just didn't matter.

/ Tomato Blight Help #3  
Use an organic fungicide containing Bacillius Subtilis. "Cease" is commercial product available that contains 1.3% Bacillius that is a applied at a rate of 30-60ml/gal as a foliar spray. Bacillius is a stinky product but it works well on a lot of different fungal issues. Products containing Potassium Bicarbonate (salt) can also help. "Milstop" is a product containing 85% Potassium Bicarbonate and is applied at a rate of 1TBSP/gal as a foliar spray. Blight is a tough one and there are a lot of products out there that can help but the two products I just mentioned have helped myself and others in controlling blight on a commercial scale.

/ Tomato Blight Help #4  
A product I have not tried but is supposed to target blight is a new product from Phyton Corporation called Phyton 35 Broad Spectrum Control. It is a bactericide and fungicide in one. It is labeled for Fruits and vegetables but it is not OMRI certified. Phyton will probably be the most effective as the products I mentioned in my prior post will only help control but will not eliminate the issue (I don't think I was clear about that).

/ Tomato Blight Help
As I understand things, the fungus will over-winter in the soil. Would it be beneficial to treat the bare soil before planting, and maybe after all the crops are gone and the soil tilled for the winter?

/ Tomato Blight Help #6  
Some fungus's will over winter. However the products I suggested need to be sprayed on the plant. To treat soil you can do a drench with a product such as Subtilex NG that contains Bacillus Subtillis MBI 600 9.9%. This is an effective product for soil treatments (.06-.15ml/gal). It is effective at preventing a lot of fungal diseases including Botrytis, Fusaium, Pythium, and Powdery Mildew but I'm not sure how effective it would be at preventing leaf blight especially since the spores are easily spread from nearby areas. It's best to spray your plants before they show signs of fungal issues as it is easier to prevent than to treat.

/ Tomato Blight Help
Some fungus's will over winter. However the products I suggested need to be sprayed on the plant. To treat soil you can do a drench with a product such as Subtilex NG that contains Bacillus Subtillis MBI 600 9.9%. This is an effective product for soil treatments (.06-.15ml/gal). It is effective at preventing a lot of fungal diseases including Botrytis, Fusaium, Pythium, and Powdery Mildew but I'm not sure how effective it would be at preventing leaf blight especially since the spores are easily spread from nearby areas. It's best to spray your plants before they show signs of fungal issues as it is easier to prevent than to treat.
Thanks for your help.