Tomato Harvest

/ Tomato Harvest #11  
Good stuff, thanks Moss! Yeah, I think the reason I brought this up is that I made spaghetti sauce last night with Red Gold tomatoes and sauce.
About my favorite chili is a pound of browned ground beef, a packet of Chili-O (might be discontinued, but I have 10 packs left), a can of light red kidney beans, a can of dark red kidney beans, a can of Brooks chili hot beans, and a few cans of various 'chili ready' tomatoes from Red Gold. :p

/ Tomato Harvest #12  
Harvesting season here much longer - at least in our garden - typically get tomatoes from about early to mid June and until about the first week of December. (Central California foothills)
Yep. We get them all summer long as well. However, this is industrial farming for canning. They only do one pass per year. And then it's game on! (y)

/ Tomato Harvest #13  
And how in the world do they pick tomatoes without crushing them?

It's a relatively tender crop...

Guess I need to Google it (Is google a noun or a verb)?

/ Tomato Harvest #14  
Mr. MossRoad...I found your Rex Gold Youtube video on tomato picking...wow!

One scene which only lasts for about 30 seconds around the 9 minute mark shows the automatic "color sorter" that separates (actually KICKS OUT) green tomatoes back into the field.

Amazing technology!

/ Tomato Harvest #15  
And how in the world do they pick tomatoes without crushing them?

It's a relatively tender crop...

Guess I need to Google it (Is google a noun or a verb)?
Commercial tomatoes are far tougher than home grown varities. If some clever sole was able to combine shipping ability with taste,there would be 75% fewer home gardens. If a burger franchise had year round access to tomatoes with home grown taste and a way of getting them from field to restraunt it would be game over for compitition.

/ Tomato Harvest #16  
Mr. MossRoad...I found your Rex Gold Youtube video on tomato picking...wow!

One scene which only lasts for about 30 seconds around the 9 minute mark shows the automatic "color sorter" that separates (actually KICKS OUT) green tomatoes back into the field.

Amazing technology!
Yep. So it detects the color and blasts the misfits out with air and fingers. Now those are tomatoes. Relatively large if you compare that they sort rice the same way in the 'rice factory'. Individual misfit grains are puffed out of line. Think about that. A video system can detect off-color grains and puff em out of the stream.

Industrial farming and the supply system are incredible.