Tongue length and maneuverability

/ Tongue length and maneuverability
put some fiber glass bicycle poles with flags on the very back of the trailer so you can see it if it does have a gate that you can watch and try not to turn the steering wheel more than maybe the nine o'clock and three o'clock position and back very slow.

Yep, did that already. I also generally either leave the tailgate down (or remove it) when trailering to aid visibility.

the easiest thing to backup is a semi tractor trailer with a 50ft trailer. like others said, tow vehicle length vs trailer length makes a big difference. the longer the trailer and the shorter the tow vehicle, the better.
A shorter tongue will make it worse. If I can see it, I can back it. If I can't see it backing is extremely difficult if not impossible. I prefer to look out the back window instead of using the mirrors. In any case a pole at the back of the trailer solves the problem ( that's assuming you're not "that guy" on the boat ramp on the 4th of July).

Tow vehicle is a club-cab Dodge Dakota, 6.5' bed.
Guess I'll just have to deal with it as-is. Glad I asked before shortening the tongue. Thanx for the help.

Couple weeks ago I had to rent a bucket-lift. Thing was longer than my truck, but was easy to put right where I wanted it. The whole length vs maneuverability runs counter to what I thought it would, but as they say, learn something new every day.

/ Tongue length and maneuverability #12  
Leaving the tailgate off helps a lot with visibility. Problem is I need the tractor to get it back on.