Chipper Too much HP for a Chipper?

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I have on order a Bearcat 5" 73554S chipper/shredder. I plan to use with a Kubota L5740, which has a 50 HP PTO. I got an advance copy of the chipper user manual and noted that it warns: "This chipper is designed to be used with tractor PTOs rated at 15 to 45 horsepower. Using this chipper with PTOs above 45 horsepower may cause belt and machine damage in overload conditions."

Is this one of these cya warnings or something I should take seriously? Would it potentially void my warranty if I use with a higher rated tractor? I suppose I should call my dealer and Echo to check also, but was wanting to get feedback from the real life users here.

Thanks,

Dave

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #2  
I certainly wouldn't see a problem having 5 PTO hp over their recommendations. That being said, i certainly could see Bearcat using it against you on a warranty claim. They are built like tanks though, and it shouldn't be an issue..... since thats why they put shears in the driveline. I say go ahead and buy the chipper!

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #3  
It's a sign to buy a bigger chipper. Seriously, may want to consider it (of course it is extra $$$). I have a bearcat & it is built well.

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #4  
I read the key words in your question overload conditions do not overload it :D

:)

/ Too much HP for a Chipper?
Thanks for the feedback. I have a call into the dealer to ask the same question. Since they've already special ordered the 5" and it has been received and assembled, I'm guessing they may be inclined to just say it will be fine, but I'll see.

Meanwhile, I'll see if he'll price the 8".

Update: Just heard from the dealer who said, as I expected, as long as I'm careful it should be ok. Still haven't heard whether it voids the warranty -- I may call Echo myself to find out.

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #6  
One thing I did learn about size, you have to trim all the branches off and it has to be straight and green wood will chip fine and dead wood will sound like its coming apart
I want one like the tree guys use $$
:)

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #7  
I think I'd run 5hp over on the recomendations.. and then just make sure i dind't overload it... If it were 10 or more.. I would get a bigger chipper..

soundguy

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #8  
Does it have a shear pin or slip clutch? If it does, and it's properly adjusted then the extra HP should pose no issue. From your earlier post it sounds like it may be a belt drive, in which case that may be the overload protection mechanism.

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #9  
Care to let us know what they cost?

jb

/ Too much HP for a Chipper? #10  
I don't think that it will be that big of a deal for the extra HP. The throat of the chipper is going to limit how much you can put in there anyhow. I have a Vermeer 6" chipper that is driven by a 25HP Kohler gas engine without any problem. It chips anything that I can feed into it. Plus the engine is running the hydraulic feeder. You can try to be careful of shoving any really dried out hardwood trees if you work with that at all.
Jim