Chipper Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #1  

LS4041

Tractor
LS R4041H
Hi everybody!
I am a new member and new tractor owner. I just took delivery of a new LS 4041 from RCO Tractor in Austin TX.

I have been looking at chipper/shredders and really like the Mackissic TPH122. I like the fact that you can get several different size screens (They don't offer the different screen sizes for the bigger machine) for it because I plan on doing a lot of garden mulch and composting. I also plan on doing some small scale grain production and Oregon State University has a great article on how you can use a hammermill style shredder as a grain thresher. The Mackissic website says the TPH122 is designed for 10-30 HP. The LS website puts my 4041 PTO HP at 35. Am I going to run into trouble running the TPH122 with that 5 extra HP?

I have put in a call to Mackissic and am waiting for a call back, but I figured it would be good to get some info from the experienced users.

Thanks!

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #3  
Hi everybody!
I am a new member and new tractor owner. I just took delivery of a new LS 4041 from RCO Tractor in Austin TX.

I have been looking at chipper/shredders and really like the Mackissic TPH122. I like the fact that you can get several different size screens (They don't offer the different screen sizes for the bigger machine) for it because I plan on doing a lot of garden mulch and composting. I also plan on doing some small scale grain production and Oregon State University has a great article on how you can use a hammermill style shredder as a grain thresher. The Mackissic website says the TPH122 is designed for 10-30 HP. The LS website puts my 4041 PTO HP at 35. Am I going to run into trouble running the TPH122 with that 5 extra HP?

I have put in a call to Mackissic and am waiting for a call back, but I figured it would be good to get some info from the experienced users.

Thanks!
I've been looking at this very shredder for the same reasons you are. I'd wager that as long as you stick to the chipper/shredder's published capabilities and don't push it too hard, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're really worried about breaking something, you can exchange the PTO shaft for one with a slip clutch.

Joe

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #4  
You might consider a stand alone model. You can tow them to any site, e.g. to a relatives or friends place to do some yard work like I do. I have model SC1650HTE and have used it quite a bit. Mind you I'm not commercial nor do I try to process a forest of stuff. There are a lot of variables in how the hammer mill handles different things. The other day I threw in several yucca plants. Boy did that fibrous stuff ball up inside the mill. There is wet stuff...long stringy green stuff, dusty stuff etc. You just have to learn what it can do effectively. My machine has worked beautifully. I seldom use the fine screen and use the larger one to make "mulch" that is used in paths and shady places where erosion is a problem. This machine has probably 100 hours on it in five years and has worked up to my expectations. The chipper works well also. So far no machine failures have taken place. On a few occassions I've used MacKissic's phone or e-mail, and they have always been helpful. BTW, my model tows well behind my smaller garden tractor as well as my pickup truck. Good luck on your choice. Mike

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #5  
You might consider a stand alone model. You can tow them to any site, e.g. to a relatives or friends place to do some yard work like I do. I have model SC1650HTE and have used it quite a bit. Mind you I'm not commercial nor do I try to process a forest of stuff. There are a lot of variables in how the hammer mill handles different things. The other day I threw in several yucca plants. Boy did that fibrous stuff ball up inside the mill. There is wet stuff...long stringy green stuff, dusty stuff etc. You just have to learn what it can do effectively. My machine has worked beautifully. I seldom use the fine screen and use the larger one to make "mulch" that is used in paths and shady places where erosion is a problem. This machine has probably 100 hours on it in five years and has worked up to my expectations. The chipper works well also. So far no machine failures have taken place. On a few occassions I've used MacKissic's phone or e-mail, and they have always been helpful. BTW, my model tows well behind my smaller garden tractor as well as my pickup truck. Good luck on your choice. Mike
I think part of the reason the OP wants the PTO version is for use as a thresher. For that, the operating speed needs to be reduced considerably, and a tractor will do this admirably, while most small gas engines would struggle. That's the same reason I'm looking at the same implement.

Joe

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122
I think part of the reason the OP wants the PTO version is for use as a thresher. For that, the operating speed needs to be reduced considerably, and a tractor will do this admirably, while most small gas engines would struggle. That's the same reason I'm looking at the same implement.

Joe

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about needing to dial down the operating speed for it to be an effective thresher. I was mainly looking at the PTO unit because it is one less engine to maintain. Joe could you talk some more about reducing operating speed with a tractor? Would that just mean running at a lower RPM?

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #7  
Just idle the tractor down. You'll have to experiment a bit with small amounts to find out what RPM you'll want to run. Also, you'll want to bolt the hammers together, using old garden hose as spacers to turn the hammers into beaters. Remember, you're only threshing grain, not pulverizing it.

Does this make sense?

Joe

/ Too much HP for Mackissic TPH122 #8  
The other day, while chipping the tops of a recently felled sugar maple, The 3/8ths inch shear bolt (Standard grade 5 bolt) let go when the 2 week week dried, leafy tops clogged the works
Labor, Smoke and then nothing.

This is with the biggest MacKissic TPH chipper shredder and a 35 hp Hurliman Prince . PTO speed at 1000 rpm and engine revs at 2000 rpm. ( Not peak HP)

The modifications to fit the shear bolt came after I had to replace a twisted prop shaft and input shaft key that had sheared and jammed. Took most of the day to get that pully off!

So, All I'm saying is that 35 HP will twist the daylights out of a smaller unit it you get in a jamb!

With that, I'm pleased with the Big Mac. I burn anything worth burning, and limb wood is best.

I must have 8 yards of wood chippings (hemlock and maple) piled and compositing. IT's nice not to need to have a brush burn every time a tree comes down.

I would not get the smaller unit, just get a screen made up if you need it. For garden needs, I just shovel the chips through a second or even a third time. The repeats go as fast as you can get material to the hopper. Getting it out underneath is the problem!

Sharp knives make chipping 1 inch stuff a pleasure. Bigger rounds self feed too quickly ;-)

Cheers

Cal