Snow Too much snow! Help!

/ Too much snow! Help! #91  
Or if the snow gets really, really, really deep, I got the equipment for that to.:D

Attachments

• CIMG2587.jpg
    CIMG2587.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 213
   / Too much snow! Help! #92  
Thavil, Nice pics! After doing my drive and 6 others, multiple passes, I was too pooped to take any

Think tomorrow is a "work from home" day. I did my 40 mile commute today, just for the manly adventure of it - wasn't worth it. Tomorrow evening will be worse I suspect....

Thanks Nubota, I have to give credit to mother nature and the wife. I agree with being too pooped to take any, while I was out working, the wife was taking some pictures after she finished with the stall duties.

I'm one of the federal government workers everyone complains about (I work for the Air Force, so maybe not so much) and had the day off Monday and today. If we get as much as they say on tonight's storm, we'll be closed again tomorrow. I don't blame you for driving in to work, I get cabin fever and would do the same thing if they let me.

/ Too much snow! Help! #93  
It's easy enough to have that happen. I dug out about 300 feet of a neighbors drive and he has a horse corral fence along one side of it. I couldn't just FEL to load, turn and dump, as that would have swung the back blade into his fencing. So for all 300 feet, I had to FEL load, then backup down down down to where his fence ends and then dump, and then return. So it took about twice as long.

When it came to his parking area, I did some of it far from his vehicles, but then told him I would loan him my tractor for him to do the rest, as I was not comfortable operating around other peoples vehicles. He borrowed my small Kubota the next day and spent about 2 hours doing his parking area. He was very appreciative after working his own space the drive that I had opened up for him.

And he loved operating the Kubota.

Your a very good neighbor indeed.

/ Too much snow! Help! #94  
Gotta beat Todd! These storms have cured me of any itch to play in more snow. I took the B for a ride over two days and clocked 12 hours (9-5) one day,4 the next just clearing.

Since the JD's are somewhere else no cab for me.

How are the horse doing? I was thinking about putting ours to work. :)

You definetly beat me with seat time Mike. I did do another 3 hours today trying to improve on what I had already done with this new storm coming in this evening.

The horses are doing fine, they are getting cabin fever like I have. The wife kept them in their stalls during the first storm and will do it again tonight. I have both barn areas cleared of snow now so they are out as much as they want to be. I would love to put mine to work also!! Hope everything is going well on your farm with all this snow.

/ Too much snow! Help! #95  
Well that's your problem, right there. I imagine it would add incalculable hours to your job having to stop, shift, reverse, stop, shift, forward slow, forward fast, stop, shift, reverse, etc...

I clear ~1/2 miles worth of driveway (8 different houses, so add 8 garage areas, 8 street ends, 8 mailboxes, etc.) with my BX each storm. I run turf tires, no chains, and nothing but the FEL.

This snow, we got 16 inches on the ground, but the first 12 inches of snow were reduced to 4 inches by sleet, creating a very hard, heavy, wet, crusty, and otherwise impossible to shovel sandwich of junk. Took me an hour just to shovel the walkway from my driveway to my front door. Thankless work.

All that said, I didn't have much problem dispatching of it with my little BX. The whole thing took maybe 6 hours. But I couldn't fathom doing that with a geared tractor...painful.

And, of course, I'd never miss an opportunity to share pictures of my family...tractor included...

Cute family there Keith. I could not imaging doing it with just a FEL. I use my plow mounted blade and 7' rear grader blade. I would take that any day of the week over a HST. I can push 15" of snow for miles if needed without stopping so there is no forward and back. I clear this 18" of snow in 20 minutes last year with my 5,200# 28HP Jinma.

Chris

Attachments

• Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 159
  • snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 112
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 120
   / Too much snow! Help! #96  
Or if the snow gets really, really, really deep, I got the equipment for that to.:D

If you slide one of those snowcats off the trail and down a mountain side is it hard to get it back on the trail?

/ Too much snow! Help! #97  
If you slide one of those snowcats off the trail and down a mountain side is it hard to get it back on the trail?

Not really any mountains to speak of around here, But I have had it stuck. Not really that fun, When this thing gets stuck it's really in deep.

/ Too much snow! Help! #98  
Here are a few.

One of the horses right after we let it out of the barn.

The other two, using the FEL to move the snow. I actually have a blade on the backend that was attached just for this snow. Getting smarter all the time. :)

Attachments

• horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 218
  • tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 200
  • tractor3.jpg
    tractor3.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 218
   / Too much snow! Help! #100  
Cute family there Keith.
Thank you to everyone who passed along this sentiment. I'm quite proud.

I could not imaging doing it with just a FEL.
Don't disagree one bit that the FEL is inefficient. Normally, I would say, the FEL is plenty sufficient for the amount of snow we get. After getting over 50 inches in a single season, I'm secretly wishing I'd have gotten a blower or a blade at the beginning of this year. Secret wish, mind you, since I didn't/don't have 2 pennies to rub together...Considering the FEL is essentially free-to-me at this point, I think it does a spectacular job!!!

...with my 5,200# 28HP Jinma.
Ummmm...ya. Little different animal than my cute little 2,400# BX. I'd love to have a rig like that, but it'd look a little funny mowing my front lawn with it...I do adore the front mount blade. If I could spend 6 weeks locked in my garage with beer, welder, and metal, I'd have a great many modifications come out the other side...a blade like that on my BX among them.