tool carrier

/ tool carrier #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
We all talk about being able to carry tools / chainsaws on board the tractor and there are a lot of solutions out there that guys have come up with. Here's mine. Yes the ROPS is folded...My tractor and I live / work in the trees and it's safer to have the ROPS down then up as it grabs limbs and brings the front up in-a-hurry. The basket and tool rack both just slip on - no bolts - so it's an easy on - easy off. The bungee cords aren't necessary, just insurance. Please ignore my lousy welding. I just bought a cheapo wire flux welder from Northern and the price ($140) and my skills (lack thereof) are a good match. This tool basket is my first attempt ever at metal glueing. If it holds together at all I'll call it success. The hanging tool rack I bought at Lowes - but everybody sells a version. DSCN0234.jpg

/ tool carrier #2  
Looks good from what I can see. Welding is an art that takes lots of practice. The key for us novices is to use enough power to make sure you get good penetration without turning the piece into molten slag. It's what's worked for me anyways.

By the way, what is on the three point? Is that a wood splitter?

/ tool carrier #3  
Nice handy rack. The best way to learn to weld is to make stuff like you are doing. Keep it up.

/ tool carrier
By the way, what is on the three point? Is that a wood splitter? ...I think what you're referring to is the hydraulic top link -- hooked to a harbor freight quick hitch --and there's a landscape rake on it. I love that top link ...can't imagine life on the tractor without it. It gets used as much as my grapple.

/ tool carrier #5  
By the way, what is on the three point? Is that a wood splitter? ...I think what you're referring to is the hydraulic top link -- hooked to a harbor freight quick hitch --and there's a landscape rake on it. I love that top link ...can't imagine life on the tractor without it. It gets used as much as my grapple.

I think that's going to be my next project; incorporating a hydraulic top link. But first I have to get the remote kit - which is going to cost a few bucks from what the dealer tells me. Did you do the install on the top link yourself?

/ tool carrier
I had the dealer add the remotes when I bought the tractor and got the top link from them as well. You can get a cylinder from TSC - or elsewhere not a dealer - that will do the job too. Do a search here for "top and tilt" and read all about it.

/ tool carrier #7  
I had the dealer add the remotes when I bought the tractor and got the top link from them as well. You can get a cylinder from TSC - or elsewhere not a dealer - that will do the job too. Do a search here for "top and tilt" and read all about it.

I will check it out thanks. How do you determine what size and length of cylinder to use for say a category 2 hitch?

/ tool carrier #8  
Measure your manual toplink collapsed and fully extended, then find a hydraulic toplink close to the same lengths. Bailey's international has the best prices, but they only sell a Cat. 2.
FYI- Cat. 1 uses 3/4" pins and Cat. 2 uses 1"
If your tractor is a Cat. 1 you can use a Cat. 2 and bushing the ends.