Toolcat Braking

/ Toolcat Braking #1  

dsb5610

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4720 Cab
I've been sawing trees along fence rows and using the utility grapple to carry them to various ditches. What a great tool for that job. However, I've noticed when dumping that if I get too far into the ditch the brakes will not hold the Toolcat from continuing to roll forward. To maintain my position I put it in reverse and feather the pedal. It would seem to me that stepping on the brakes would lock the wheels right up.

I don't have a service manual yet but in looking at the Operation and Maintenance manual it says that the machine should not move on an 11 degree slope with the parking brake set. If it moves see your Bobcat dealer. I am interested in hearing other Toolcat owner's thoughts on the brakes. Although I have adjusted to this for the work I have been doing I am having visions of pulling a trailer headed downhill with a stop sign at the bottom of the hill (scenario very close to the property). /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks in advance.

dsb

/ Toolcat Braking #2  
As a serious about-to-be TC owner, I would also like to hear from others about the braking performance of the TC in steep terrain.

My current machine is a PowerTrac 1845 which I bought especially for its steep terrain performance. While I fully understand that the TC will not follow a PT everywhere, I would like to have full confidence in its service and parking brakes.

Any real-world comments & experience out there?

/ Toolcat Braking #3  
I am bumping this back to the top in hopes others will post their real-life experience-based comments on the TC brakes - good or bad.

I could not see actual brake drums or discs at the wheels, so whatever they use must be internal. This may be perfectly fine so long as it really works to the point of sliding the wheels rather than them perhaps not being able to be completley held stopped.

Anyone?

/ Toolcat Braking
I've been hoping to get some feedback on this topic. I had another situation yesterday where the brakes did not hold. This time I had the front end on the high side of the slope and the brakes would not hold the position. I set the parking brake to see if that would make a difference (versus stepping on the brake pedal). No difference. Opened the door and looked at the front tire to see whether I was sliding (we have some snow on the ground) or the tires were rolling. The tires were rolling, slowly, but they were rolling not sliding. Ended up throwing a log behind the tire to keep it from rolling.

I need to call the dealer about a safety recall on the 72" finish mower. I will ask about the brakes and any adjustments there may be.

For reference, I have a JD 2210 sub compact tractor. This unit is hydro and I don't recall it not being able to hold it's position when on an incline. Also, I've operated several rubber tired end loaders that are hydro. The ones I am familiar with have the forward/reverse on the steering column similar to the Toolcat. These units will hold their position with a fully loaded bucket on a steep ramp when dumping into a rock crusher. Seems to me the Toolcat should do the same.

dsb

/ Toolcat Braking #5  
While I'm far from an expert on Toolcats, I thought I would throw my .02 cents in the mix. I use my Toolcats for snow removal. I live/work in a mountain community where the term "level ground" can mean many things. That said, I have had my Toolcats on some pretty nasty slopes and have not had a problem with either the brakes or the Hydro Trans holding. Actually it is quite a "treat" compared to my CAT 910 where you needed to be "poised" to hit the brakes (two brake pedals) on the slightest incline. I have been pleasantly surprised at the transmissions ability to "hold" on some very nasty driveways. One of the biggest "learning curves" for me was to keep my foot off the brake on the Toolcats to avoid "locking up" the wheels at intersections going from contract to contract.

/ Toolcat Braking
timm9,

Thanks for the feedback. I called the dealer today and talked to one of the mechanics. He said they have never had to work on the brakes of a Toolcat but will do some research and get back to me. He agreed that the brakes should be far more effective than what I have experienced and didn't think any adjustment would be a major undertaking. I will post back when I find a resolution.

dsb

/ Toolcat Braking #7  
Thanks for the updates..... I had hoped the absence of others with similar experiences was a good sign, but a whole bunch stepping up to say their brakes worked just fine would have been even more reasuring.

Hope it is just an adjustment in your apparently isolated case.