Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced?

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #1  

BrianSouthernMD

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp
Now that our Toolcats are getting some hours on them, I thought it would be good to compare notes on what has needed to be fixed or replaced on the Toolcat itself and on attachments.

So far on my 2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo B-series, I've had to:
* replace fuel line hose between main and auxilliary diesel fuel tank and bleed air out of fuel system (after I ran over large branch that stuck in just the wrong spot underneath!);
* replace heat shield glued to bottom of dump bed, located just above engine (it came loose and burned when engine got hot);
* reposition a hose above front axle to avoid chafing with metal guard (it was rerouted a bit on the C-series Toolcats!);
* remount a tire that went flat/came loose from the wheel rim;
* replace broken grease fitting on lift arm;
* replace 1 of 4 light bulbs for lamps above the front window;
* adjust driver door closing clearances slightly;
* clear out clogged pre-filter area and reset red alert indicator light;
* clean out debris from radiator/ screen cover periodically;
* perform regular maintenance including lubrication, oil & hydraulic fluid changes, filter replacements, etc.

On my CID root rake brush grapple,
* replace female hydraulic coupler (on hose) that stopped functioning.
On Bobcat 72" Mower and Ammbusher rotary brushcutter,
* sharpen blades (I have replacements ready to go.).

My hours are for lots of different uses with applications that really put the Toolcat to work, and the repairs needed so far are really minor (naturally, during warranty period! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

How about some other reports or comments about my experience?

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #2  
How many hours do you have on it, also?

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced?
Xing/Tigerotor77W,
125 hours.
And I also forgot to mention replacing a lost fuel cap! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Dealer's parts dept. says they go through an amazing number of those! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #4  
Ah... interesting story, too!

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #5  
I have a 5600 with 400+ hours and recently discovered two areas where rusting occurs. The first is under the rubber foot pads. The foam under these pads will absorb and retain water. I pulled off the foam to prevent further rusting after sanding and repainting the steel floor on the driver side. The second rust prone area is the battery holder which has two recessed areas where bolts attach the holder to a steel plate. I had to grind off the rusted original bolts and replaced them with stainless steel bolts.

Loosecannon,
Welcome to TBN and thanks for posting in the TBN Toolcat forum! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have you put on all 400+ hours yourself or did you buy a used Toolcat? And you'll have to tell us more sometime about that winch on the Toolcat.

I'll be sure to look closer at those rust-prone areas and take action early. (BTW, note Gadgetnut, also in WA state, just took delivery on a brand new 5600 Turbo C-series.)

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #7  
Tom, I'll second the "Welcome to the Forum" !

I am seriously considering a Toolcat for our recently acquired property in southern BC and thus have been soaking up all the infomation and tips I can about this remarkable machine. Would also be interested in your experience with it.

I am also interested in how you mounted the Milemarker (hydraulic I presume) winch and what you mainly use it for. I currently have a Warn 6000 series hydraulic winch on my Power Track 1845 with 140 ft of 1/4" cable for dragging logs up to where I can grab them with the AnBo grapple.

In any case we are all interested in how your machine works for you.

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #8  
My machine was a dealer demo model which had 350 hours of use when I purchased it. I have put on a little over 100 hours since I bought it at the end of Feb 2005. By the way, I have posted a "before" photo of the battery tray in the photos section of TBN. Of course, everything rusts very fast in the Pacific Northwest especially in the cold and wet weather we enjoy from November through February!

For those who are interested I have some details of the winch installation on my blog at http://toolcat-diary.blogspot.com.

Yes, I noted that Gadgetnut lives in the San Juan Islands. We moved from Orcas Island (which is in the San Juans) to Whidbey Island in July of 2004.

Loosecannon,
That's a nice Toolcat Diary in your blog with great pictures and well-written entries on your winch installation, Toolcat purchase decision and more.

I like your mod to move the Milemarker winch control box location away from the top of your Trailer Hitch Receiver Winch Mounting Plate /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. And we're also glad you found the TBN Toolcat forum (which didn't exist when you made your purchase!). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toolcat Repairs: What Have You Fixed Or Replaced? #10  
Loosecannon,
I ammpreciated the blogspot info.
One question though, aren't you worried about the wires hanging down from the battery? They seem to hang down quite towards the ground in the photo. Don't they get caught up in brush and stuff when you are driving in the woods?