Tooth bar question?

/ Tooth bar question? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I've looked/read on here about the tooth bar add on for a front end loader on the tractor. How does the bar help to push up small saplings (1" or so) or heavy brush? I guess I mean how does the mechanism of the toothy bar makes it work better? Is the loader edge of the bucket too smooth, by itself, to "grasp" the saplings/brush and just sort of "mashes it down without actually pulling it out? I do get frustrated with just having the loader do this sort of thing. Enlighten me tractor gurus. :confused2:

/ Tooth bar question? #2  
I usually use my backhoe for such jobs, but with careful tooth placement the tooth bar does work,

/ Tooth bar question?
"tooth placement"...how do you mean? More in or out on the FEL edge?

/ Tooth bar question? #4  
I bought one of these a few years ago.....I rarely take it off my bucket. I have cleared acres of blackberry and small alders. I had one custom made for my small yanmar 186d........works great.....check them out.

BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar

/ Tooth bar question? #5  
For brush, the tooth bar can rip up the roots usually and tear everything out that way but for saplings, seems to me there's nothing for the teeth to latch on to except for part of the root maybe. Pulling up saplings is not the toothbar's greatest strength, IMO. That would be for digging into dirt and pulling out rocks, etc.

/ Tooth bar question?
Thanks, I will check that out! :thumbsup: I like the way that bolts on.

/ Tooth bar question?
Thanks, there are plenty of rocks around here for sure...Bush Hog does a pretty good job of making "smaller" rocks out of the big ones. :smiley_aafz:

/ Tooth bar question? #8  

Attachments

• DSC00341.jpg
    DSC00341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 312
  • DSC00342.jpg
    DSC00342.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
   / Tooth bar question? #9  
I got the BXpandable tooth bar for my JD and it does do a better job or ripping out shrubbery than a flat edge on a loader and up to one inch saplings it usually can handle it pretty well depending on the type of tree. It does also help the loader quite a bit when scraping and you hit a hardpan of clay. For the price of the add on implement they are worth the money.

/ Tooth bar question? #10  
I stab a tooth under the roots to snag it, then pop it out by driving forward. With just the flat edge of a bucket, you can't slide under the trunk without digging up a really big, wide divot. An alternative is a tool that grabs the trunk (eg like a claw hammer) as you drive forward, pushing it over and then out of the ground.